Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Cod Liver Oil/Omega 3 Fish Oil

Hi folks,

Just wondering - do any of you give your dogs the human version of Cod Liver Oil in liquid form? If so, how much do you give per size of the dog?

Or do you give omega 3 fish oil instead? Do you prefer this?

I've heard that too much vitamin A/D can be toxic to dogs (and humans) if consumed to excess.

I've been giving both my dogs (aged 7 & 9) a teaspoonful of Tesco Cod Liver Oil in liquid form every second night in the hope that this isn't too much, but is enough to do them good at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2010, 01:57 AM
I give my lad a cod liver oil capsule and a garlic capsule in his food almost every day - haven't had any problems.
skippy440
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-11-2010, 02:41 AM
May I ask what would be the reason for giving your dog cod liver oil? Anything to do with their coat and skin?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 06:49 AM
I used to Give CLO,then moved onto Salmon Oil , which was kinder on tummies.

Then ive found Yumega, OMG their coats, so so soft! Fab!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by skippy440 View Post
May I ask what would be the reason for giving your dog cod liver oil? Anything to do with their coat and skin?
I'm hoping it'll help protect their joints a bit as they get older - they are 7 and 9 years now.

If it doesn't, however, at least it'll be doing their coats and skin good! I'm sure it's making Roxy's coat even more shinier than it was before!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I used to Give CLO,then moved onto Salmon Oil , which was kinder on tummies.

Then ive found Yumega, OMG their coats, so so soft! Fab!
I had them on salmon oil for ages - don't know if that helps joints as well as CLO does and I didn't see any improvement at all in their coats, not that they have problems with their skin and coats, they don't! EV olive oil seemed to suit them better and it's much cheaper as well.

Haven't tried Yumega, although I was debating.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Cod liver oil is, I think, quite high in vitamin A, so I prefer to give mine general fish oils, or a tin of fish once a week, I think once a day for a dog that doesn't actually have any problem, sounds quite high. Not meaning to sound picky, just going on advice I've been given previously.

Other things you can give to promote healthy joints are turmeric and apple cider vinegar (I put it in the blended veggies I do), and if you have a dog that suffers with poor joints, devil's claw and green lipped mussel extract can help alleviate some of the problems.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Cod liver oil is, I think, quite high in vitamin A, so I prefer to give mine general fish oils, or a tin of fish once a week, I think once a day for a dog that doesn't actually have any problem, sounds quite high. Not meaning to sound picky, just going on advice I've been given previously.

Other things you can give to promote healthy joints are turmeric and apple cider vinegar (I put it in the blended veggies I do), and if you have a dog that suffers with poor joints, devil's claw and green lipped mussel extract can help alleviate some of the problems.
No, that's fine. I appreciate your input.

I have heard it's high in vitamin A which is why I posted this thread.

I have one and a half small bottles of it left, so might as well use it up by giving them a very small amount every two to three days. Doesn't appear to be doing them any harm so far and Roxy's coat is even shinier than it was!

They do get tinned (sometimes fresh) fish as well, once or twice a week.

They don't have any joint problems, this is to try and help later on in life. Whether it will or not, who knows!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I had them on salmon oil for ages - don't know if that helps joints as well as CLO does and I didn't see any improvement at all in their coats, not that they have problems with their skin and coats, they don't! EV olive oil seemed to suit them better and it's much cheaper as well.

Haven't tried Yumega, although I was debating.
Oh its good! &Yumove for their Joints! Ive got mine on Yumove now to Help Nellie & flynn with thir pobs (old age/disolcation/pin & HD) & Mav for General maintenance, Then they have the Yumega to look Beautiful!