Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Plain bones

Do such things exist?

I really want to find some long lasting chews/bones for Woody to gnaw on that wont upset his sensitive tum.

Any ideas?

He can't have beef or rawhide or anything rich/meaty and un-natural. Also no cereals or grains.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't recommend feeding a 'plain bone'. I guess you mean the sterilized bones you get in the pet food shops?

They can wear the dog's teeth down and can cause severe constipation.

If you want something for him to have a good chew on, I like Nylabones. They last for ages - even when a great big staffy has a chew on one!

With actual bones though, I think bones with a bit of meat on are best. Even then, they won't last very long unless you go for something really big - which can wear down the teeth.

HTH x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I wouldn't recommend feeding a 'plain bone'. I guess you mean the sterilized bones you get in the pet food shops?

They can wear the dog's teeth down and can cause severe constipation.

If you want something for him to have a good chew on, I like Nylabones. They last for ages - even when a great big staffy has a chew on one!

With actual bones though, I think bones with a bit of meat on are best. Even then, they won't last very long unless you go for something really big - which can wear down the teeth.

HTH x
It bloody does, thanks. I never knew any of that!

We'll stick to the nylabones and stuffed/frozen kongs then.

Thanks hun x
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree, Nylabones and Konbs are best. Stick to larger Nylabones the dog can't get to the back of the mouth and put enough pressure on it to crack a molar.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Raw marrow bones are best for keeping a dog occupied for hours on something completely natural, but they might be a bit rich for sensitive tums.

Otherwise dried tripe sticks should be ok, as tripe is meant to be good for sensitive tums. They don't last hours and do smell a bit, but the dogs love 'em.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Raw marrow bones are best for keeping a dog occupied for hours on something completely natural, but they might be a bit rich for sensitive tums.

Otherwise dried tripe sticks should be ok, as tripe is meant to be good for sensitive tums. They don't last hours and do smell a bit, but the dogs love 'em.
Trouble is - Pidge has said he's allergic to beef - and i think most marrow bones and tripe products are from beef.

i do have large marrow bones for mine - but i also after a nice chat with the local farm shop and game provider can occasionally get venison rather than beef marrow bones. Which maybe the way to go if you can source other than beef.

Mine only get them once they are frozen - they last longer that way - and only for an hour or so at a time and when supervised.

I have kongs and nylabones as well, but they are not as interesting. I also have plain non filled hooves - but again these are mainly from beef.

Mine aren't that bothered about the nylabones, but do like filled kongs - being as mine are usually on diets the kongs tend to be filed with "flavoured" water - ie the water that i've boiled liver in if making liver cake, or weak chicken broth. sometimes there is veg in there as well. These kongs are then frozen and once solid the dogs them to chew on, kind of like an ice lolly.

oh, much better outside or on hard floors!