Our sister sites
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:11 PM

Fireworks & dog sedation

Hi
just have to ask your opinions
On my local news a woman was on and she had, had her dog injected with sedatives every night for the last 2 weeks and over this weekend the dog is to be put on a drip keeping it unconcious for the whole weekend
Her dog is "terrified" of fireworks...
I am undecided as wether this treatment is over the top or a way of saving your pet from a stressful time?!?!?!?
what do you all think ?

Rachel
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Thats sound very OTT and I`m not impressed with the vet doing that quite frankly. Some people book the weekend away somewhere well away from firework risk which would be a far better option. One of mine [ until I started giving her Valerian which boosts confidence and is NOT a sedative ], used to be so bad I honestly thought she would have a heart attack as her fear was so incredibly severe. Before I started giving her Valerian, she had sedatives from the vet as a last resort along with the warning that they can cause seizures so had to be given only on the worst nights, so rock and a hard place - heart attaxk risk [ literally ] or seizure risk...

Gremlins fear was as bad as it can get in terms of the severest fear levels, [ her previous familys kids used to set fireworks off next to her to see how high she would jump...], but no way have any vets she has been under suggested such drastic `treatment`. and if I tried demanding it they would have been more likely to sedate me than Gremlin !
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I think its a bit OTT theres too many remedies out there to desensitise a dog than go to that extreme.
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I do think it is over the top, there are lots of options and as Patch says go to the middle of nowhere
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Sounds OTT to me, there has to be a different solution to such drastic action surely.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 10:24 AM
me too sounds way OTT