Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zebedee
New Member!
Male 

19-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Barking Springer

Hi guys..
I have a 3yr old male springer who insists on barking in the car - any ideas as to how to stop?

He is fine otherwise, a normal springer lol - but when he is in the car he won't listen, just barks incessantly...

makes no difference on the way to a walk or on the way back home - if I fasten him in the front he will be somewhat quieter, but if he is free he will jump in the back/boot and start barking - very loudly, very constantly, all the way home..

as soon as he knows he is home he will stop, and be his normal self.

he is doing my head in (and my new g/f lol) any ideas? TIA, cheers
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Probably the most enthusiastic of any breed........

From experience ...Car = Walkies

Break the car/walk association.

Even if just round the block - take the dog out in the car with no walk. Springers are bright enough to learn.
Zebedee
New Member!
Male 

19-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Probably the most enthusiastic of any breed........

From experience ...Car = Walkies

Break the car/walk association.

Take the dog out in the car with no walk. Springers are bright enough to learn.
hehehe oh yeah....

but tried that, many, many times...

he is very bright (too bright lol) but I can't break the association...

well, saying that, he is ok(ish) in the front seat, (now, after doing the above) but I can't stop him barking in the back..

any ideas anyone?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

19-10-2010, 12:51 AM
OK

Why do 'you' think he's barking ?
Zebedee
New Member!
Male 

19-10-2010, 01:11 AM
well I dunno - I'm hoping for some expert help lolol - but I would say that he barks because he knows he's off for a walk...

but.. he barks on the way home, so it's just associative behaviour - when he's in the back of the car, he barks.

but - if I get out of the car, he will stop and settle down, but as soon as I return, he will start again. (I have done 5+ stop/start/walk/stop/leave/start/stop/walk etc etc)

if he is fastened in the front he will be *excited* and yip, whine etc in anticipation of the walk, and on the way home be chilled and fine...

but if I undo the tie, he will leap in the back and start the barking - on the way there, or on the way home.

learned, associative behaviour I think - but how do I stop it??
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 05:53 AM
have you got room for a crate in the car?? if so cover it up, where abouts in Wakefield are you i may know someone who can help
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I could tell you but Borderdawn and Jackbox will leap in and say it is cruel and actually you would be better not taking the dog out in the car!

Let me think, am I bovvered............

Nope! OK---I'll tell you.

It might be worth trying a hoody, a semi blindfold hood which works with some dogs. it needs to be introduced slowly but it does work most times---however being a springer it might not (G)!

I'd try the covered crate first though.

Good luck.

rune
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2010, 09:25 AM
i have a weim cross springer who whines in the car there and all the way back if you listen closely he whines "muuuum"! i dont have room in the car for a crate (also have the springers and bt) so he doesnt go for a walk iin the car anymore!
but id try the crate and cover over it as it did work when we had a bigger car didnt know he was in the back!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Put him in the car when you go to the supermarket, when you pick the kids up, when you go to see friends. It`s sheer excitiment, so if he doesn`t know he`s going somewhere nice or not, he should settle.