Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ellie's Mum
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:02 PM

My lovely B Collie has punctered her mouth

Hi
My lovely Border Collie, Ellie, has punctered her throat playing with a stick today. I can see a quite a large hole and it is bleeding slightly. She is obviously in pain and I will take her to the vet tomorrow. Now I wish I had. Can anyone advise what pain relief I can give her? She has only had some oxtail soup for dinner as it was soft - she was not able to eat soft meat

Mary - Worried Mum
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm sure you don't want to hear this right now, but this is one of the reasons the "stick to toys" slogan was written. Sticks can be lethal.

I wouldn't worry about food for your girl, just make sure she has fluids. Sorry, I'm not sure about giving painkillers.

Good luck at the vets.....
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Poor Ellie

Take her to the vets a.s.a.p

Good Luck x
Ellie's Mum
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Thank you for your replies. I am beside myself with worry about her. Never, ever again will I throw a stick for her!!! We are learning the hard way.

Mary
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Poor Ellie

Take her to the vets a.s.a.p

Good Luck x
poor girl
i agree,if she was mine i would take her to the vets asap,hopefully its ott,but you might be underestimating the damage a stick injury can do,and how stoic dogs can be
good luck
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 11:29 PM
My honest advice is to take her to the vets tonight or call the vet out.....I'd say something needs to be done sooner rather than later.... I wouldn't take the risk. Please let us know if she's ok
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ellie's Mum View Post
Hi
My lovely Border Collie, Ellie, has punctered her throat playing with a stick today. I can see a quite a large hole and it is bleeding slightly. She is obviously in pain and I will take her to the vet tomorrow. Now I wish I had. Can anyone advise what pain relief I can give her? She has only had some oxtail soup for dinner as it was soft - she was not able to eat soft meat

Mary - Worried Mum
Hi Mary , if you have not already contacted your vet I would do so now I think most vets offer a 24 hour service or a referral to a locum vet. . I would not give her anything to eat or drink, she may need an anaesthetic to close the hole.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I have to agree, if it was one of mine, i would be at the emergency vets right now

Jann
xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:04 AM
oh poor ellie! what a horrible accident, i hope she is ok.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
oh my goodness!! definatly take her to a vet now. you prob don't need to hear this BUT i know of a dog that died from what you described the owner didn't take it to the vets straight away and the dog got blood poisoning. please contact a vet hun
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >