Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 07:57 PM

General Anaesthetic?

Anyone know, how soon will a Hospital let someone home after General Anaesthetic?

OH is going into Hospital on Thursday to have knee op in the afternoon............he has to travel by Train to get home(journey of 1hr 45 mins)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:02 PM
The earliest I was let out after surgery with a GA was 2 days, but I was still very woosy and fell up the steps when trying to get in the front door.
However, I think it would depend on the type of GA he has and how well he copes with it. I don't do very well with GA's.
Becky
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
If it's a full blown anasthetic, then it's usually an overnight stay. However, if it's just sedation, they can bring you round in an instant.
Hope this helps
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I was told only allowed home same day if none G A, so must stay overnight, mine you all hospitals may not be the same, hope op goes well,
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:05 PM
It was along time ago, but I had to eat and drink something and they had to be sure I could walk in astaright line. I was also advised to be collected by someone. I had GA for teeth out. I would have thought that the train journey would be difficult on his own after a GA.

I found this on Nottinghams site for day operations.

After your operation
For twenty-four hours after a General Anaesthetic you may feel suddenly dizzy or faint. You should not do anything that would endanger yourself or anyone else.
During this time you must have a responsible adult to look after you.

For twenty-four hours do not:

Drink alcohol
Drive a car
Operate machinery, including kettles, irons etc. or carry children in case you feel dizzy
Sign a legal document
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Depending on how you (OH) copes with it , they will let you out the same day.

My daughter had 2 wisdom teeth removed with a GA in the summer, she went in at 10am and they let her out at 6 pm.

But not sure about him traveling on a train home, by himself.

She also had keyhole surgery on her knee, last yr, and the same again, out the same day.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I went in 9.00am one day, had 3 and a quarter hr spinal op, came home 10.00am the next day.
Dawn.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I had a GA after a miscarriage and they let me out under protest after 4 hours.They wanted to keep me in but I cope very well with GA,so they said I could go providing I took it easy.
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
You can go home the same day after a GA but they usually insist that you are collected by someone and that they will be with you for 24hrs after.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2007, 08:14 PM
When I have taken my dad, they have let him out the same day if collected. I hope all goes well for your oh x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >