View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:32 PM

HPV jab (cervical cancer)...would you go ahead with it for 14 year old daughter?

My daughter is due her HPV jab at school this Friday. Given that they are investgating a link between it and a 14 year old's death in Coventry this week ,would you go ahead with it?

The post Mortem results are due back either today or tomorrow......
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I would wait to see what the PM says and then decide, I dont envy your choice though
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:45 PM
My 13 year old had all three jabs in the last academic year. Apart from a sore arm at the site of the injection, she suffered no ill-effects at all. Neither did any of her year (she was year 8 then).

However, I do understand how you feel, as my sixteen year old is due her HPV in October and after hearing today about the death of the girl, it is a bit of a worry.

For me though, unless the Post Mortem comes up with something really definite, I will urge my 16 year old Daughter to go ahead with the HPV injections.

I suppose it's the same as when the kids were babies and we had to weigh up the risks of the MMR jab and possible autism. I went ahead with it, even though my SIL believes her Son's autism was brought about by the MMR jab. I had some sleepless nights, I can tell you. Thankfully though, I made the right decision.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't have children, but I am concerned by the way the vaccine has been rushed through approval, there is no real known long term affects yet. And a lot of people I have talked to that do have kids, are under the impression it is a cervical cancer vaccine when it is 4 strains (there are over 100 strains) of the HPV vaccine that are found to, if, caught lead to a high risk of developing cervical cancer. It makes me worry but at the same time I guess you weigh up the risks, to benefits and each choose what is right for their child. There are side effects just for the flu vaccine or in taking something simple like panadol. My sister got the first injection she was 22 she had a bad rash all down he legs, so she didn't continue with it (on GP advice).
Angel44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:53 PM
It would make me very cautious. I would postpone if at all possible until the pm findings and the possible problems are sorted...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:55 PM
My mum died of cervical cancer, so I think the vaccine may well be a good thing.
However, it protects against a sexually transmitted disease, so it`s not going to hurt to wait a while, until your daughter may be of an age to consider an intimate relationship.
eta ( in which case condoms would be a better preventative.)
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I think they have said that particular batch has been removed whilst they investigate.
As very sad it is, there is always going to be a number of people to react to any vaccination & we often don't think about it until we hear it on the news & then we panic & rightfully so!
I would probably wait too until after the investigation. My daughter has already had it a few months ago, but I know I would feel worried if I were you.
It takes me back to the MMR scare too as I have a son with Autism & have met other parents who are convinced that was the cause of their child's Autism but will never get to the bottom of it as every door is shut in their face. I also have a relative who was vaccine damaged by the whooping cough vaccine & I had to face an awful dilema whether or not to have my children vaccinated against it.
Sorry for waffling on, it's a subject very close to my heart & I have little faith in a lot of the info we are fed, there are so many flaws, you never know what to believe.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes, I would still go ahead with it, unless they find definite results that the cause of death was purely because of this vaccine, then I would wait a while.

Having said that, they've removed that particular batch anyway, so yes, I probably would still go ahead and have the vaccine.

My great grandmother on my mother's side died of cervical cancer aged 41. I would like the vaccine myself but I think it would cost me hundreds of pounds to get it.

Is this the first part of the vaccine your daughter is due to have? As I understand there are three parts to it. If it's the second or third part, would a delay in the last part affect the cover of immunity as a whole? Just curious as I don't know much about it.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 01:20 PM
This would be 1/3 of her HPV immunisation.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I was thinking the very same thing this morning Rach but had a sense of relief that both my step daughters have already had theirs and they were fine.

I'm with the others who say wait for the autoposy results and then make a decision. Even if it does show that the vaccine was to blame for that poor girl's death, it wouldn't necessarily mean that I wouldn't do it - but I would want to way up the risks of having the vaccination against the risks of not.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »