Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 01:54 PM

The wedding/engagement thread

A while back we had a baby boom on dogsey and someone started a thread for the mothers to be to share their progress and helpful tips.

Seems at the moment that dogsey has seen several engagements so I'm proposing (I'll get my coat!) that we have a similar thread for all those planning a wedding to share tips and advice and also for those already married to share their tips and advice on planning the big day.

In particular im looking at ways of cutting costs so any helpful hints there would be much appreciated!!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Ohh, what a good idea

Well...we're hoping to get married next year - it depends on my health obviously (and also if my divorce goes through!)

We've decided to get married in Vegas
Neither of us have much family, or loads of close friends, and we thought we could have a great time in Vegas - so the decision is made
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ohh, what a good idea

Well...we're hoping to get married next year - it depends on my health obviously (and also if my divorce goes through!)

We've decided to get married in Vegas
Neither of us have much family, or loads of close friends, and we thought we could have a great time in Vegas - so the decision is made
Wow, Vegas sounds ace! We'd upset too many people if we went abroad I think! We've looked at two venues already - one was a definate no and the other was nice but just didn't feel right! So on Friday we're going to look at a place we have been before so we know its nice but we just want to see what it's like at this time of year rather than summer. We also have a 20% discount voucher for it as well!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm not bothered if I upset anyway (bad...I know...)...it's my wedding

As I said, it's not so bad as there are hardly any people we would invite anyway!
OH has no family at all, and I only have Mum, Isochick and her OH!

We've looked at prices/hotels etc, and it's not badly priced at all!
Most of the wedding venues do 'packages', where everything (including flowers/limo/photos etc) is included for about $500!!
Then it's just dress/suit/rings, and of course, the hotel and money for gambling

Are you doing it in a Church, or a hotel etc?

What type of dress are you looking for? Im struggling with ideas!
I know I want something quite tight fitting and straight - but not sure I want the normal white/cream! And I don't have any boobs, which is rubbish for dresses!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Happy to offer any tips based on experience if anyone wants them ;o)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Me and Adie got engaged 9th July 2009..bit of a while ago, if he passes his Marine/Army training, we should be getting married next year.

My sister is getting married 7th May 2010 - she's a cheap skate so I shall borrow some ideas off her when she gets closer to the wedding
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Me and Adie got engaged 9th July 2009..bit of a while ago, if he passes his Marine/Army training, we should be getting married next year.

My sister is getting married 7th May 2010 - she's a cheap skate so I shall borrow some ideas off her when she gets closer to the wedding
OOO shes getting married on my birthday...but dont u mean 2011??
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Well for reducing costs, just think about what is really important and what won't really make a difference.

Things like -

wedding cars. Yes they look smart (and horse and trap even smarter) but it won't affect your day if you ask the friend with the smartest car to drive you. I was once driver for my friend getting married - it was a real priviledge (though I was so nervous about getting her to the church on time!). I got some ribbons for the bonnet and the door handles and bought a small basket of flowers to put on the back parcel shelf.

Invites/place names/orders of service etc. you can do all these yourself (or friends can do them for you as their wedding gift) at very little cost.

Flowers - if you are thinking of a church wedding, try to get married around a church festival. e.g. we got married just before Easter and the church had flowers already so we didn't need to arrange for any in the church (that was my FIL's suggestion as he is a minister)

Dress - consider hiring rather than buying...you'll never wear it again.

Marquet and do it yourself buffet (again by friends and family as wedding present). Some of the best weddings I have been to have had the reception in a marquet with food laid on by family. Intimate and fun for all - a really nice feeling to the day.

Guest list - can lead to fall outs, but imo the people paying should have quite a say. If parens are paying don't make too much of a fuss about relatives you don't really know being there - you really will only notice the people you want to see! If you're paying, don't accept pressure from other people about who should and shouldn't go (unless they're willing to contribute towards the cost!)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
OOO shes getting married on my birthday...but dont u mean 2011??
Of course I mean 2011 - LOL well spotted
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Excellent thread

Some good pointers there Hali.
We are paying for all ours ourselves. That is something that is really important to me, neither of our families have much money and I don't want them to feel obliged to do anything.

One thing we have done is do our guest lists each of us individually and then go through them again for each other to see who "needs" to be there all day.

The venue is a big thing for me I want it to be special, but I guess every bride does

Hadn't even thought about hiring a dress but that is something I would definitely consider.

Our friend is a registrar, Stuarts dad an organist, my friends pal a singer/guitarist, I am struggling with a photographer they are horrendously dear Am thinking of just none at all and hoping the guests get some good shots. Also disposable cameras on the table at the reception.

Brilliant thread.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »