Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bkmitra72
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2008, 12:06 AM

Hello - Tick Problem

Hi Friends,
I have Indian desi breed and have ticks problem.Suggest remedy or some commonly available medicine.Thanks
Calistal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2008, 05:32 AM
Honestly - most flea preventatives also help to prevent ticks. I dont' actually know of any home remedies or natural remedies against them, other than trying to keep them from getting under bushes or between them, but ticks can fall from trees, so they're a bit difficult to avoid. I use Revolution.

It works very very well - we actually found a tick on our dog, but because of the revolution, it couldn't actually bite Keegan and get its head in.

Good luck with your tick problem! Wish I could do more!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I use Frontline spray....to be honest not only does it keep off fleas but it kills ticks as well.

However when I have none of that I use Tea Tree spray....both fleas and ticks hate it.
florie
New Member!
Male 

06-07-2008, 06:56 AM
I use ordinary aftershave applied very carefuly with a cotton bud, taking great care not to allow it to touch the dogs skin. Within an hour the tick will fall out deaded.
Surgical spirit will have the same affect.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Hello BKMitra

I lived in Cambodia and we had an appalling tick problem. I found in the garden that certain grasses harboured them, and also hard mud in villages that was swept regularly. Frontline was not available there so it was a question of avoiding known habitats and checking my dogs over several times each day, especially between the paws. You may be able to buy a tick remover online, or even find a vet pharmaceutical company online ...that will save you picking them out. You may find some essential oils help eg tea tree and citronella, but large amounts of tea tree oil can be harmful to pets.
Welcome to dogsey, by the way!
Mary
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
I also use the frontline spray & althought it's a little costly it is brilliant stuff been using it for about 2 years and my dogs have never had never ticks or fleas since.
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi I have heard that powdered garlic is meant to be good for keeping off te ticks and fleas, just put some on their food. To help kill the tick if i on the body put vasaline around the head it wont be able to breathe it will either drop off or ill be easier to get out.
Shelly
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by florie View Post
I use ordinary aftershave applied very carefuly with a cotton bud, taking great care not to allow it to touch the dogs skin. Within an hour the tick will fall out deaded.
Surgical spirit will have the same affect.
Originally Posted by RiverWild! View Post
Hi I have heard that powdered garlic is meant to be good for keeping off te ticks and fleas, just put some on their food. To help kill the tick if i on the body put vasaline around the head it wont be able to breathe it will either drop off or ill be easier to get out.
Shelly
Hi, sorry to be a party pooper but applications such as surgical spirit, vaseline etc should never be used as they can cause the tick to regurgitate and that`s what will cause infection and make a dog ill.
External treatments such as have already been mentioned, ie Frontline, are made to help sort the problem, as are Tick removal tools

Info here and a link on the page for where to get the O`Tom tick removal tool

http://www.bada-uk.org/defence/remov...ickremoval.php
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Stronghold or advocate.......Are great for ticks, fleas, mange all sorts of things like that.
Your have to get it from your vets...but once you get it you can buy it from the vets with out seeing him or her, the receptionist will sell it to you.
Just make sure you get the right one for the weight of your dog!
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
last year ben and both the cats had tick problems. and we used the drops in between the sholder blades. and a flea and tick collar. and no more problems.
this year ive done the drops as a preventive and all of them have got the flea and tick collars on. and not one scratch between anyof them.
welcome to dogsey BTW
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >