Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderjack
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Sore feet

hi,
I'm new to the web site and hope someone can help, my border terrier licks his feet making them sore, dont know if it's an allergy to something or a nervous habit,like nail biting in humans! any one esle had this problem with their dog
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 02:10 PM
It could be many things like allergy, mites or even his anal glands need emptying as they make thier feet very itchy when full.
I would go along to the vets and get them to find out what the problem is.
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2010, 03:08 PM
May seem a silly question but are his nails in good condition? My dog has Lupoid where they lose their nails and the first sign was constant feet licking. This is a rare condition so probably isn't but worth a check because i couldn't work out the problem until i saw the nails were starting to go hollow.
borderjack
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2010, 04:44 PM
thanks for the help with sore feet,and i've read all the other posts, and it seems quite a common problem.I got some wax from the pet store today which i'm going to try, and also soaking his feet in a weak solution of tee tree oil,which seems to be in all the creams the pet store had.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:29 PM
We have real problems with our little dog's feet - he has two problems, an allergy which we have more or less sorted out by feeding him Salmon and Potato complete food and also cysts between the toes.

Both of these problems cause him to lick and chew at his paws which of course makes the condition worse. We are managing it at the moment by avoiding all rough walking areas; bathing his feet in hibiscrub after each walk, and of course the above mentioned allergy diet. Even so, the cysts keep reappearing and the vet says that there is nothing that we can do to prevent this.

I would think that a visit to the vet would be the best course of action, to try to determine what exactly is causing the paw licking in your dog's case.