Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 04:43 PM

See, now I'm proud of ME!

Eddy's always been bad with other dogs but I know that I added to it.

I had the right idea but the wrong timing and over time, managed to teach him to growl at other dogs to get a treat

Having looked closely at my behaviour, watched Eddy carefully and also worked with other people, watching their behaviour and their dog's behaviour I've managed to rectify my problem!

The last few days we've done much better and Eddy's cottoning on really quickly. I've managed to get his reinforcement (food, as always!) in between him seeing the dog and growling. Because I clicker train Takara and struggle to multitask I've chosen not to click Eddy, but just say 'good boy!' and give him a treat.

I've also had a serious talk with myself and told myself that Eddy aint gonna bite, he's just noisy and snappy if dogs get too close so don't flap!

I have stopped showing him the treat before he does the right thing, and am only distracting him with food when they come right up close.

This afternoon we've been to a dog park that I don't usually take Eddy to, but he needed a walk so he came too. I did my much improved 'reinforce before he gets the chance to growl' each time we saw another dog and at one point, when a dog came right upto his face while I was distracting him, and instead of flapping and grabbing his collar so he couldn't snap near it's face, I managed to do it all hands off (apart from the lead, obviously) and stayed calm!

My special boy has picked it up really quickly and is looking at other dogs and walking past them without so much as a grumble and I'm also really chuffed with myself! I feel like I've made such a breakthrough - I'm usually pretty good at seeing what others are doing wrong and know when I'm doing something wrong, but am not very good at getting it right!
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Well done you. Keep up the hard work.

Heidi
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Well done,
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Congratulations Lottie, your hard work and determination is paying off. There's a lot to say for positivity and being determined. Plus its all too easy to identify fault with others and much more difficult to see it inourselves nevermind to rectify it. And lets face it we can only change our attitudes and practices not others - the most we can only attempt to guide them.

Keep up the good work, we're all proud of you.

Now off to analyse myself

L
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys

L - I didn't mean I judge others! It's just that I do one to ones with people and their dogs - hence my comment about being able to see what others are doing and how to improve it!

It's just that, not being able to watch myself, I often don't see what I would see, were it someone else doing it!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Well done Lottie, you have every right to be proud
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Well done honey thats awesome! Eddy is such a clever boy xxxx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran