View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aurora7409
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2009, 03:10 PM

How much exercise should my puppy be getting per day?

So during the day, I take my puppy out alot because she's only 10-weeks old and needs to go potty every hour to 2 hours. Whenever we go outside, she wants to run all over the place and she tires herself out. She does this maybe 7 or 8 times a day and we're outside about 10-15 minutes at a time. Is that too much exercise for her or am I not doing enough?

She is a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix and as a side note, she sleeps wonderfully at night and can sleep from 11:45pm to 7am without having an accident. She doesn't wake up and cry in the middle of the night either. The first night I had to lift her out of her crate to take her outside. Once she's out there, she will go.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi,

At 10 weeks old it shouldn't be long before you can take her out for proper walks and training classes, assuming she's had her jabs at the normal times.

Secondly, I'd begin lead walking her in the garden first to get her used to being on a lead. You could begin by using a lead every time you take her out to toilet. this means she'll get used to the lead and can't run off and wear herself out each time she needs to go.

Also, you can do a certain amount of "training" indoors with her and make her use her brain so some of her weariness comes from mental stimulation.
If you overdo things physically you could be doing unseen damage to joints that may not manifest itself for a long time, by which time it's too late to correct.

Running about for between 70 minutes and 2 hours a day (based on the times you gave) is far to much for a pup of her age. But you could take her out to toilet on a lead and then decide on maybe 2/3 x 5 minute sessions each day when she can have playtime - whether that be inside or out.

As she gets older you can increase this with extra playtime, longer walks, romps in the park, formal training classes and mentally stimulating games such as hide and seek, or maybe scentwork. Once she's 12-18 months old you may want to get her into agility or flyball if she has a lot of energy too.

there are no end of things you can do with her to wear her out btu so long as youdon't put too much emphasis on it all being very physical.

Laura xx