Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Dilema with the New Bird... Opinions?

Well, the new cockatiel i got on Saturday hasn't eaten a thing since he arrived. And i dont think he's had anything to drink.

I phoned up the shop we got him from to see if they had any ideas, they just said to take him back and they'll put him back in the cage

I dont know what to do. If he doesnt start eating soon he will die But if i take him back they'll put him back in with the birds that were bullying him..

I put a load of willow and apple tree branches in his cage last night, took out all the toys, and he seems happier in the cage, but still didnt eat...

What do i do? take him back and let the shop deal with him? I know they'll just sell him on Or can anyone suggest anything to get him eating?! He's on the seed food the shop supplied with him (that he'd supposedly been eating) and he's been offered fruit but not eaten that..

Help!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Im so sorry you are having a bit of a problem with this grogeous little fella unfortunatly I don't know much about baby birds or Cockatiels, but from your other thread you say you think he's only about 8 weeks old, do you think he actually knows how to feed himself, maybe try and get something in him by hand feeding him, not sure what as I dont know what Cockatiels eat, does he know where the feed is? I don't think sending him back to the shop is a very good idea though, good luck
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2008, 10:22 AM
He/she is only young and been through a big ordeal. I would see where he spends most of his time in his cage and put a little food close by, maybe try a little apple or carrot and see if he will take it, it could be the seed as I have had budgies in the past fussy over certain types of seed.

Also with the water try not to worry, with lou it looks like his water never goes down and I very rarely see him drink, but he must do as he would have been dead a long time ago
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Jessica can you get hold of some handrearing formula (some pets at home sell small bags) and also some egg food would do the little fella good

if you get some handrearing formula you will have to spoon/syringe feed it to the bird

is it drinking??

hope you get him/her sorted
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for those replies guys

I will try the hand rearing forumula and see if he takes that. Poor little baby Presumably with the syringe you have to be very careful not to give the bird too much??? Think i'll try with the spoon first

I cant say for sure if he's drinking, it may well just be going down a tiny bit.. But i've not seen him anywhere near the water bowls.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Like with Lou, its very rare I see him drink.

One thing it might be as I had problems with my budgies years ago when I changed the cage they were in. It had different type of seed pots and were also located in a different area it took them a while.

The handrearing formula is a good idea aswell with him still being a youngster. I hope you can get it sorted.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Jessica it is fine to syringe feed, get a small one and hold it gently in the side of its mouth, it should make feeding reactions and then gently push the food into it mouth

if you do spoon feed you will need to use a teaspoon and bend the sides up, this makes the shape of the beak and helps alot

good luck hun and if you need me shout
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 06:28 AM
Any news hun, have you managed to get him easting yet?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Sorry, i should have updated this yesterday

Little birdie was munching away on his seed when i went home monday night. He must have known he was being threatened with returning to the shop

anyway, he is doing great. Eating fine now and seems much happier now he knows im not gonna eat him or something Hopefully he will keep going the right way.

He's already much tamer. He'll sit quite happily while i pop the awful pin feathers on his neck and crest and he actually makes funny purring noises

Here's some pictures of him taken last night..

In the cage (I HATE having the bottom this messy but he'll only eat from the bottom of the cage )

Pin feather popping

Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Glad he is doing well, have you come up with a name yet?
I can see apple on one of the photos, how did he like it as Lou loves it. Its also funny you should say about eating off the bottom, Lou used to do aswell and still like playing about down there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >