Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Do you think a crate will help?!

We've been in our new house for 2 weeks today. Most things are going great and Axel is settled...while we are there. His separation anxiety is at its worst and we're at a loss.
He gets exercised before being left (often a proper run involved) given a pigs ear as we leave (which usually/used to distract him as we left) and has the radio left on.
We've been videoing him and the time taken before he is howling the place down (it's VERY loud) is getting shorter and he's doing it more often while left.
I have a few ideas as to why, but struggling to think of how to help.
I think it's obviously linked to the new surroundings, but I think it could be because it's such a bigger room and it's at the front of the house. Although it's a quiet street, he will be able to hear the odd people/car going past. It's a brighter room and he spends a lot of the time in the video pacing.
We've toyed with having him in the entrance hall/stairs/landing, but I was thinking maybe putting him in his crate? It's a fabric one that's dark and perhaps would help him not feel overwhelmed?
My other theory is that he's a lot more clingy because I'm pregnant...
Basically, do you think using the crate is a good idea or do you think it'll make things worse? We've been in contact with our new neighbours and explained about the noise and they're being very patient...but we can't expect that indefinitely...
Is there something obvious we've missed? We're getting so upset by it all, as is he.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:38 PM
A den may make him feel more secure, have you considered exploring Adaptil, Zyklene, Calmex with him?

Sorry if you have mentioned this before, I cannot remember.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Is there not a room for him at the back of the house, away from the street noise? We used to leave Bailiie in the kitchen at the back but we had a doggy gate separating the two rooms; at least that way Bailiie was somewhere quiet but could still see the front window. Now she is settled, she stays in the living room at the front....
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
try the create,acts like a den and its and alternative to your dog wandering the house in anxiety.it may work ,into duce it slowly.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:15 AM
No I don't think a crate will help, if you are going to shut him in it, purely because he is a greyhound and greyhounds as a rule get very anxious shut in crates, maybe because of their past. A crate covered over with a blanket and the door open so he can get in or out may help as it would be like a den he could feel safe in.
I would look at working on his seperation anxiety by ignoring him for at least half hour before you go out and when you come home, no eye contact or speaking to him. Start with just going out the door and coming back in a couple of minutes later and slowly build up the time.
Getting another greyhound would help too as greyhounds all their racing lives are normally kept in pairs, but you being pregnant it may not be a feasable idea.
Worth trying some calming tablets or a dap diffuser too to see if that helps.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A den may make him feel more secure, have you considered exploring Adaptil, Zyklene, Calmex with him?

Sorry if you have mentioned this before, I cannot remember.
I haven't mentioned it since I moved, I did look for advice before we moved. I haven't thought about medication, will consult my vet, thanks for the advice

Originally Posted by Polarbear2008 View Post
Is there not a room for him at the back of the house, away from the street noise? We used to leave Bailiie in the kitchen at the back but we had a doggy gate separating the two rooms; at least that way Bailiie was somewhere quiet but could still see the front window. Now she is settled, she stays in the living room at the front....
No, there isn't. The living/dining room are open plan and at the back is an L shaped kitchen/conservatory. We originally intended on leaving it in there, but as I've never had a conservatory before, didn't realise just how hot they get!!! So no, nowhere else really room sized to leave him.

Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
try the create,acts like a den and its and alternative to your dog wandering the house in anxiety.it may work ,into duce it slowly.
Thanks

Originally Posted by madmare View Post
No I don't think a crate will help, if you are going to shut him in it, purely because he is a greyhound and greyhounds as a rule get very anxious shut in crates, maybe because of their past. A crate covered over with a blanket and the door open so he can get in or out may help as it would be like a den he could feel safe in.
I would look at working on his seperation anxiety by ignoring him for at least half hour before you go out and when you come home, no eye contact or speaking to him. Start with just going out the door and coming back in a couple of minutes later and slowly build up the time.
Getting another greyhound would help too as greyhounds all their racing lives are normally kept in pairs, but you being pregnant it may not be a feasable idea.
Worth trying some calming tablets or a dap diffuser too to see if that helps.
He's been used to the crate before, we use it camping and at family social events, so it wouldn't be a new thing for him. I'll look into calming tablets and/or dap diffuser, thanks
I would love a 2nd, but hubbie has been saying no a long time before I got pregnant - I've got no chance now! I would have loved to have got him a companion and no doubt it would help, but sadly it's not possible I will ignore him for longer either side of leaving (we do ignore already, but not as long as that). Thanks for you help