Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Getting a Second Dog...

Is this likely to mean that you will no longer have such a strong bond with your first dog, a the two dogs will bond more with each other?

I know this probably depends on the individual dogs, but was just wondering if it is more likely to happen than not.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
We have definitely found that not to be the case, we had one dog for four months before we got the second, but they are both incredibly strongly bonded with each of us, and they love each other too.

We do make sure we dont favour one over the other, but they are both so gorgeous that that is easy to do, and we give them both individual and joint attention when it comes to cuddles.

It appears that the bond between them and us is equal and when indoors they tend to follow us before each other, when out they are great running around together but they both return to us.

I guess to some extent it depends on how much you generally interact with them to how much time they have with each other. On walks they know the balls are thrown by us, the treats given by us etc.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:28 PM
My dogs are much more bonded to me than each other. They all get on well, but they could all get on equally well without each other.

All dogs are different, so your bond with each dog is unique and incomparable to each other.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I got a second dog last year (Buster). When Coleman was born I had a rottie at the time. when Coleman was 6 unforuntely my rottie passed away and Coleman was on his own for four years before I got Buster.

I'd say my bond with Coleman is as strong as ever, even with Buster being part of the Pack. Coleman has a strong bond with Buster but I think Coleman loves trying to be with me on his own. if I stoke Buster, Coleman comes alongs and shoves his head under my hand for attention.

Both Boys are treated equally.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Is this likely to mean that you will no longer have such a strong bond with your first dog, a the two dogs will bond more with each other?

I know this probably depends on the individual dogs, but was just wondering if it is more likely to happen than not.

No.

My dogs never bond with each other more than they bond with me. Although they get on and play with each other, they spend more time playing with me individually!

I generally have at least 5 years between dogs if I can manage it, so it is like have 2 x "only" dogs.