View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jo_snow-2007
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Frolic complete.. is it as bad for your dog as it looks?!?

Hello everyone,

Just a quicky.. after trying many many brands of dog food, I have fianlly found a complete food which my Dax likes- Frolic. I am delighted to have found something which he cleans his bowl every time with, and is begining to put on a bit of weight so he is not so ribby!
I read the ingredients on the label as I was concerned about the quality, and low and behold, it has added sugar!!!
Has anyone else used this dog food for fussy eaters, or know whether its good nurtritionally (long-term) for a complete diet? I add sardines, and sometimes a little chicken liver to the food, but the majority of his bowl is Frolic complete.

Any info much appreciated!!

Dexter and Jo
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 02:11 PM
Spencer loved Frolic but my vet said it was very high in salt so I stopped feeding it. Occasionally I'll buy as small bag and use them as treats / training aids.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Spencer loved Frolic but my vet said it was very high in salt so I stopped feeding it. Occasionally I'll buy as small bag and use them as treats / training aids.
Same story here - that's exactly what I do
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
My ex husband works for Petfoods and some 11 years ago we had a GSD with a red meat protien allergy, We tried all sorts but settled on Frolic as in those days it had a large amount of soya in it.He loved it and lived to be 11yrs old which is average for GSd's.Other than that i can say all was well. No teeth or health probs. Hope it helps
ALexa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2007, 05:16 PM
The only experience I have with Frolic was that it sent my already hyperactive collies completely loopy....and this was before I looked into their diet far more carefully.

Guess that would have been the colourings. I think it probably depends on the dog.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Hypo dogs and turns the poo organge is my experience.
ATD xxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2007, 06:11 PM
We've used it as treats since Cassie was a pup and she loves it. We've had no problems at all with it and she's as fit as a butchers dog. Think you have to make your decision really.
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Why do pet food manufacturers thing dogs like colourful and sweet food?
I think sugar acts as a flavour enhancer, it's used in cat food as well, and in my experience cats get hooked on it (bit like Big Macs, I guess) so I expect the same is true for dogs.
I'd say if they have to add sugar to get a dog to eat a food then there's something wrong with the quality of rest of the ingredients!