Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:20 PM

In praise of Burns

When we adopted our old boy Harry last year, he came with some Gusto food which didn't seem to be that well suited to him. We swapped him onto James Wellbeloved Senior which he did lots better on.

Our pup was weaned onto James Wellbeloved puppy by her breeders so we kept her on this. She had lots of tummy problems in Feb, and was put onto Hills ID while tests were done etc. The Hills put some much needed weight back on her and she could tolerate it. She is now free from problems and as I'm not a big fan of the Hills, plus it's VERY expensive, I started looking for alternatives

After speaking to our vet and the Burn's helpline to switch them both over to Burns venison and brown rice.

Harry (old boy) went cold turkey straight onto the Burns, not the ideal way I know but he has a strong stomach. After 2 weeks he seems to be doing great on it! From day one his poops were so much better, and after him being terrible for getting anal gland problems and him licking his bottom lots (sorry!) he has stopped completely already, which makes him much nicer to know!

He is a total food pig anyway, but since switching to the Burns he is hanging around the kitchen in expectation at meal times, and has big strings of drool while waiting to be told "OK" when his dinner is put down, nice! .

We are gradually mixing the Burns into the Hills ID for the pup, but again we can already see a difference in her poops. I have a £60 bag of Hills which is 3/4 full though, and can't decide whether to just forgo it and swap her fully onto the Burns, or use up the rest of the Hills by keep mixing a little in until it's all gone. Any thoughts anyone?

I am aware that some people say their dogs lose weight on Burns, so I'll be keeping an eye on them for that.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2008, 01:27 PM
We've been feeding Max Burns for over 2 years now and he does so well on it and still enjoys eating it! Whenever I have spoken to them at Burns they have always been very helpful.

As for your bag of Hills, only you can decide what is best for your pup. If you are seriously considering writing it off then if there is a rescue close to you they may be very grateful for it.
daycare4dogs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-05-2008, 08:40 PM
i am currently feeding my 11 week old puppy on burns pet nutrition and her body, coat and general condition has changed so much after feeding her this food. She especially loves the chicken and brown rice flavour and cant get enough of it! she goes nuts when she hears the bag rustle.

i have got some adult burns dog food that i do not need any more and i am selling it on ebay for a fraction of the price of what i bought it for if anyone is interested, take a look or pm me for details.

have only just put the dog food on ebay today, so it may take a day or so until you can view it!