Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:13 PM

eating slugs

can anyone help old dolly out my 11 mnth old boxers keeps bringing me in little gifts . slugs and snails her mum used to do it also but she never ate them yuk. i was wondering does anyone else have this problem or any idea on hw to stop her frm doing it iv tried to catch her and take them of her yuk. but to no avail by the time ole dolly catches up with my little sprinter its to late again yuk . my good friend has told me that it can give them lung worm so im pretty disperate for any of your good advice guys . much appreciated thanx old dollyknockers
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes snails can pass on worms to dogs. Best bet is maybe try to provide paces for the snails in your garden that are unreachable for your dog?
Remove as many snails as possible too.
Becky
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
thanx becky ive tried all that but the little tinker still manages to find one , . but good advice much appreciated
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:20 PM
My mums Yorkie eats slugs and snails and they make her so ill. The vet said there is a reason for them eating them, but I can't remember what They can also pass on some disease to dogs if they eat them.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
my little one dosn get ill she seems fine but i dnt lik the idea of her eating them just incase teeny tiny
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I'd place beer traps all round the garden and kill the little blighters then she wont have anything to eat!
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I would be extremely worried about my dogs eating slugs not only could eating them cause heartworm (a few cases of this happening in the UK) I would be extremely worried about them eating slugs that had been in contact with slug pellets (or even them eating the slug pellets) that contained Metaldehyde, which can be extremely fatal to dogs.

I'd go with Steve's idea and place beer traps all round the garden.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 11:58 PM
oh yuck,

no my dogs (thank god) do not do this.

i have a cast iron stomach but reading that really made me feel very very......:smt078 :smt078 :smt078
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Yep.....Maggot does this
and the crunchy variety are her favorite yum yum :smt078 :smt078 :smt078
we do the beer trap thing all around the garden as i can't stand the thought of using pellets and killing the poor birds that then eat the snails. or the thought my Magg might pick up a dead pelleted snail/slug. she loves to bring them into the house and start crunching them. i never have a hope in the hot place of getting them off her once she has them.
anyway they're all slimy :smt078 :smt078 :smt078
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Hi Dolly,

Louie used to partake in odd crunchy one when we 1st got him - eewww.
Somehow we managed to convince him that they really weren't a doggy delicacy(sp) by taking them off him and saying No.

Well we'll wait and see if he remembers this in the summer when there's a few more about.
Our next task is to convince him that horse & rabbit poo aren't pre dinner appetisers and he doesn't smell better after rolling in fox or pig poo

The joys of dog ownership.
Hope somebody else can be more helpful!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >