Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2014, 12:01 AM

Need Advice for First Vet Visit

We're taking Callie to the vet tomorrow. He's been favoring a back leg for a few days and it seems to be worse. I can't see anything on his leg or foot but it's definitely bothering him.

He hasn't been to the vet with us before. We've had him two years and the vaccines he got when we adopted him are good for one more year. The vet practice has several doctors and has been good with Sophie and the cats.

I just wonder how to make it easier for him. There is a vet who is a woman. That would be a good thing. He isn't way comfortable with male humans. It's also something simple like examining him. Getting him on the examining table, challenge one. Letting the doctor inspect his leg, challenge two.

I'm sure they've had experience with difficult patients and for the most part he's an easygoing guy. But he's not going to lay passively on his side and you need a linebacker sized orderly to hold him. I'm not afraid to assist, it's just that he's solid muscle. Suggestions please?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 03:27 AM
This reminds me of Nigredo's first real exam this April. He did extremely well. Also, when he recently hurt his leg, he was totally still while she examined him and we got a good dog discount

Nigredo is a hulking nearly 87 lbs, solidly built and also fat and can pull hard when he wants to, but he was no trouble at the vets and I did not have to hold him down.

He did not fit on the exam table worth anything, and the TINY vet could not lift him anyway, and he had to be examined on the floor. She merely got two towels, placed them down and knelt beside him.

If Callie is prone to panic or doesn't like men or other dogs, it's a good idea to muzzle him. My Jade is a nightmare and always must be muzzled. She snarls and wees all over and it's very upsetting to her.

The vet should greet the dog calmly and nicely to see if the dog is well adjusted. She shouldn't just go right in. I think your guy will do just fine Callie seems of the temperament of my Nigredo from what you have said.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Hi Leslie vets are used to dealing with reluctant customers.
Some things to consider, try not to anticipate trouble or fear because that will influence the way you behave and convey your fear or insecurity to Callie.

I would try to adopt a 'bright and breezy' attitude of 'we are going somewhere pleasant' and I would go armed with a pocket full of high value treats like chicken pieces which can be given to reinforce this.

Keep talking to Callie using a 'bright' tone of voice while he is being examined to act as a distraction.

Vets often examine big dogs on the floor where they can also observe their movement.

Good luck
Meg
Supervisor

15-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
If Callie is prone to panic or doesn't like men or other dogs, it's a good idea to muzzle him. My Jade is a nightmare and always must be muzzled. She snarls and wees all over and it's very upsetting to her.
Hi Myra sorry to disagree but if a dog is not used to a muzzle applying one can in itself cause fear and panic something you are trying to avoid. The thing to aim for is to make the visit to the vets a pleasant experience and one the dog is not reluctant to repeated in the future.

If a muzzle is required the vet should be the one to decide that.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Hi Myra sorry to disagree but if a dog is not used to a muzzle applying one can in itself cause fear and panic something you are trying to avoid. The thing to aim for is to make the visit to the vets a pleasant experience and one the dog is not reluctant to repeated in the future.

If a muzzle is required the vet should be the one to decide that.
Hello, Meg. You are absolutely right. A dog can panic in a muzzle and it can make things worse. Trying one at home is a good idea before trying to take him somewhere and then put it on all of a sudden. My dog is fine with her muzzle, and always was... but that is not typical. Sometimes I forget that.

On another note, if the dog will need a muzzle for other things, might I suggest a BaskerVille Ultra muzzle? They are nice.

Oh, I'm pretty sure walking a dog into a stressful situation and finding yourself having to snatch him up or remove him to prevent him from snapping at and/or biting other dogs or people is WAY WORSE than a panicked dog in a muzzle he can't get off. But since Callie will not likely react this way, the vet can probably determine on a personal basis whether he needs a muzzle.
Meg
Supervisor

15-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Hello, Meg. You are absolutely right. A dog can panic in a muzzle and it can make things worse. Trying one at home is a good idea before trying to take him somewhere and then put it on all of a sudden. My dog is fine with her muzzle, and always was... but that is not typical. Sometimes I forget that.

On another note, if the dog will need a muzzle for other things, might I suggest a BaskerVille Ultra muzzle? They are nice.
Hi Myra I would not try a muzzle at home either. Again you are introducing something which a dog can come to associate with fear and panic when a muzzle may never be necessary.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 08:35 AM
Hmm, well my Jade NEEDS her muzzle and NO WAY would she EVER let anybody else put it on her. To suggest anybody try is absurd (you did not say this, but in case that ever cropped up), they'd be badly bitten. She does not fear her muzzle at all, nor does she shrink from it or link it to anything.

She panics at the vet, but it has nothing to do with the muzzle as she wears it on walks and while out and about when we go and she's fine with it. I guess it is because she has to wear it often enough that it's normal for her.

Muzzles are not cruel devices to me BTW, I'd rather use one and not need it than need one and not use it. I'll take that option any day and err on the side of caution. If the dog hates the vet, the dog hates the vet... with or without the muzzle. But I can see your point.
Meg
Supervisor

15-08-2014, 08:37 AM
Oh, I'm pretty sure walking a dog into a stressful situation and finding yourself having to snatch him up or remove him to prevent him from snapping at and/or biting other dogs or people is WAY WORSE than a panicked dog in a muzzle he can't get off. But since Callie will not likely react this way, the vet can probably determine on a personal basis whether he needs a muzzle.
Myra If you are walking into a stressful situation the last thing a dogs needs is a panicking owner or anyone 'snatching him up' .

If I had a dog that was very aggressive because it was fearful of other dogs/people I would inform the vets receptionist and ask if I could wait outside and be informed when it was my turn .
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Myra If you are walking into a stressful situation the last thing a dogs needs is a panicking owner or anyone 'snatching him up' .

If I had a dog that was very aggressive because it was fearful of other dogs/people I would inform the vets receptionist and ask if I could wait outside and be informed when it was my turn .
"Snatching him up" merely means to keep him very close to you (take his lead up a lot, clamp down on his retractable etc.) because he's panicking and snapping and is a danger to others as normal on his leash. Doesn't mean being physical with him or mean to him.

It's merely the action of ensuring he cannot reach other people or dogs until you get him in the clear, such as outside or in the exam room. Can easily be done by a calm owner, has nothing to do with panic on the person's side.

She does not KNOW exactly how Callie will react, that is the thing. She'd of course never leave him around all the other dogs if she knew he'd react with aggression. But ordinarily perfectly calm pets can go absolutely berserk at vets. I'm just trying to gauge a reaction such as this, though I don't think her dog will have this reaction.

But yes muzzles need to be fitted properly and many dogs take time to get used to them, so a vet's advice is helpful
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

15-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Hmm, well my Jade NEEDS her muzzle and NO WAY would she EVER let anybody else put it on her. To suggest anybody try is absurd (you did not say this, but in case that ever cropped up), they'd be badly bitten. She does not fear her muzzle at all, nor does she shrink from it or link it to anything.
But that`s your dog you know how she reacts and she is used to wearing a muzzle,

Meg is right, why make a dog stressful when there is no need for it, IF and when the dog needs to be muzzled at the vet, this may not even be needed, then its best to allow the vet to make that decision,

If it proves the dog needs to be muzzled for vet visits, THEN the owner can work at home getting a dog used to one, and the owner can take charge of the situation.

For this first visit, as Meg suggests go armed with high value treats, try not to stress yourself, if you think it would work better leave him in the car till you are called, vets understand this and will make allowances.

I used to do this with Millie she hated going to the vets, she got so stressed out if we had to sit in the waiting room, so I used to leave her in the car till we were called, then bring her in by the side door...........less stress for her, less stress for me and less stress all round.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >