Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Grrr horrid man

Took Bruno up to my mums this afternoon with kids and headed on a walk along the water of leith. My mum was pushing the buggy and I was behind with Bruno ONLEAD.

A guy was walking towards me with an offlead jrt, my m being infront shouts that Bruno isn't great with other dogs and could he call his dog back. The guy says" I think I will decide that?" doesn't bother calling the terrier who is now right in his face and Bruno stRrs growling, dog doesn't move away but runs under him and through my legs ignoring the guy saying his name. Meantime my mum says can you get him onlead please, he says no, I am now using my foot to remove terrier from Bruno face, (gently I might add)

I drag Bruno away and said" for goodness sake" for thus guy to start shouting that if I bothered to train my dog then maybe I wouldnt have these problems, to which I responded by pointing out his dog was offlead and ignoring his recall and it wasn't like I hadn't told him.
I just walked away and called him a naughty word under my breath.

My mum was like I can't believe some people etc, and I reminded her that this tends to happen to us on s regular basis!

Just wish people would listen - this bloke obviously didn't like being told anything by a woman, and I wonder why I bother preventing Bruno from defending himself sometimes cos the owners often deserve something to happen to their dogs as they are so oblivious!

Aaarrgghhhh rant over
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Ah Dani, I have this so often.

The last time, a woman allowed her dog to come up to us, despite me heading off into the long grass/thistles with Loki on his lead. When her dog came after us, I called to her that Loki wasn't friendly with other dogs, and she finally started to call her dog - he took a lot of persuasion - she had to run and grab him. Then she yelled at me that this was his walk and where he comes off lead and I shouldn't walk my dog when other dogs are around.

I thought perhaps I should have him taken by air to the Outer Hebrides every morning then, eh? Cos other dogs are walking around all the time. If she hadn't said that ... anyway she did so I lost my cool and yelled at her retreating back that it was her dog who was not under control since she couldn't call him back successfully. I also pointed out (at the top of my voice) that I had clearly tried to avoid her and her dog by heading off into the undergrowth. In fairness, she did say sorry. Loki was actually really good and didn't even growl.

Solidarity, sister!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Lol@ Ls.
I know it's just frustrating
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Oh dear Dani, been there suffered the same.
Where we walk Pepsi there is a bloke in an electric wheel chair who has a JRT who is always off lead running beside the chair. This dog has a serious problem with all other dogs. If he picks on Peps of course she won't back down and it gets very noisy. The bloke won't be told and cannot see what he is doing wrong
Such a shame because if anything happened it would be Bruno who was blamed.
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:58 PM
we've not had anything like this happen yet, but the amount of people who give Ranger a wide berth is unreal!! He's a well behaved 5 month old puppy for heavens sake, not a snarling, raging out of control full grown wolf!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I totally feel your pain Recently I asked a woman to call her lab off and she basically asked me why I was in a park if he wasn't any good with other dogs Erm....because we have every right to walk here! It was a huge Royal park too, not a little local dog park. I've also had two off lead dogs run into the road because I've crossed the road to avoid them, apparently my fault
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Know how you feel as had this problem when walking the lovely late Cherry all the time.

It is much easier walking 2 off-lead dog-friendly dogs now but I would much rather have Cherry and the aggro that came from other people all the same! I also make sure my 2 don't annoy other people's on-lead dogs as I don't want to make their lives more difficult.

Couldn't believe the numpties we met today though who grabbed hold of their off-lead Whippet as they saw us approaching and said that she was in season! I said ok as Parker neutered but he was still very interested in her. Not a good time or place to walk an in-season dog on a warm Saturday afternoon in a very popular dog-walking park in Norwich in my opinion.
Tiny Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Similar sort of thing, I was walking my little border terrier in the park, and she was off the lead. A group of people, with another dog off the lead approached me, so I called her to heal.
Their dog pounced on Beau, and she yelped in terror and shot off down the path looking behind her. She knocked into a man walking infront of her. It dazed her, so I ran over and gave her a cuddle. The group with the dog didn't apologise or stop.
The man she bumped into, then started yelling at me, stating that I should be concerned about his leg rather than my dog!!!! When I explained that she is only tiny, and the bump was unlikely to have hurt an adult, he then gave me a load of verbal abuse!!!
He then walked off (without limping may I add!!!) and I called after him "Thank you for asking how my dog is!!!".
Beau was shaking but unhurt. My anger subsided and we continued our walk.
Sometimes humans make me so mad, and people wonder why I consider dogs better friends than people - that just explains it all really....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I wonder why I bother preventing Bruno from defending himself sometimes cos the owners often deserve something to happen to their dogs as they are so oblivious!

Probably for the following reasons:

You do not want your dog to practise inappropriate behaviour.
You do not want to put yourself or your dog at risk from legislation.
The other dog does not deserve to be punished for its owners failures.
You cannot simultaneously castigate others for behaviours that you yourself would permit.?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2011, 09:23 AM
One day that dog will get in the wrong dogs face and the man will realise his stupid mistake. The only problem is the dog will have to suffer in order for him to learn this

I understand where you're coming from though, Ellie (GSDX) who I used to walk was horrible with other dogs and this terrier ran to her out of nowhere - I kept her sharp end away as much as I could and called to the owner that she wasn't good with other dogs.. he didn't seem to care, Ellie slipped her collar and this terrier ran towards the road - Ellie at it's heels and she pinned it down just before she got to the road.. She then recalled.. luckily the dog gave it up otherwise I wouldn't have liked to imagine the outcome.

Benjie is the same now and while he is a horror to walk at times, both him and Ellie have taught me much about dogs.. So now I always ask if that dog is friendly.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >