Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:13 AM

Leon Is Ill Again

I just don't know what to think, he finished his month long course of antibiotics last Friday, he has been on such good form then the runs started again yesterday afternoon.

Since 12.30 this morning I have sat up with him, he's been round and round the garden looking for places to try to settle, he is passing this vile smelling fluid, together with the yellowey brown slime and then he was also sick, the same colour watery fluid which smelled just as bad as what he was passing. He isn't de-hydrated at the moment but I'm keeping my eye on him.

I googled local vets during the night as the last one we went to is over 25 miles away, I've got a couple of numbers so will get him booked in as soon as they are taking phone calls...if they want us to wait for an appointment then I shall drive him to the other one as they don't operate an appointment system, you just turn up and they see you, so at least he can get some treatment today.

It is so upsetting to see him like this, he was doing so well, it makes my mind race with all sorts of things again, even though all the tests came back as negative and only showed a large amount of bacteria in his gut. I asked the vet for the worming tablets as recommended by Helena but he wouldn't let him have them whilst he was still taking the a/b's, now he is far too poorly to even think about getting some today to try.

I know I've done a couple of threads about this but does anyone have any other advice they can give?, he's not changed diet or anything, the only change is the finishing of the a/b's and the house move, but that seems to have suited him really well.

I don't think I have any more tears left to cry after the last few weeks
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:41 AM
So sorry for you and Leon at this moment as I have had days like that with Scratch over the last year and it makes you so worried/anxious and sleep deprived and think no tears are left (but there is always more )just keep your fluids up.
Has Leon had blood tests? I would also be getting a sample of the urine for the appointment at the vets, and maybe a poop one to show them what it looks like and they can do a smear for worms.
Has he had probiotics while he was on the A/B's as they removed good bacteria as well as bad so it can make another problem occur.
If he has diahorrea I would be worried about dehydration and watching for how much water he is taking in. i know you said he was right at the moment but it is always a worry too.
Good luck with the vets and hurry up opening time
Emma
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:49 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
So sorry for you and Leon at this moment as I have had days like that with Scratch over the last year and it makes you so worried/anxious and sleep deprived and think no tears are left (but there is always more )just keep your fluids up.
Has Leon had blood tests? I would also be getting a sample of the urine for the appointment at the vets, and maybe a poop one to show them what it looks like and they can do a smear for worms.
Has he had probiotics while he was on the A/B's as they removed good bacteria as well as bad so it can make another problem occur.
If he has diahorrea I would be worried about dehydration and watching for how much water he is taking in. i know you said he was right at the moment but it is always a worry too.
Good luck with the vets and hurry up opening time
Emma

Thanks Emma He's had numerous blood tests, I also had to take in a sample of what he was passing and the results all came back inconclusive, there were no sign of parasites etc., all his organs were working ok, they couldn't grow anything on the culture from his bowel movements, all they did find was that he had a large amount of bacteria in his gut.

The vet said not to give him anything other than the a/b's and his prescription diet as any probiotics would make the a/b's not work so well.

I understand about the fluids and you are right to raise the alarm, this was the reason he ended up on a drip last time as he went downhill so rapidly. He hasn't had a drink since he was sick in the early hours but he has finally settled down now since I took him out for a brief wander as he just wouldn't settle in the house or our garden. I have got a syringe here ready incase I have to force some water down him until I can get him to the vet.

Thanks again x
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Leon still being so poorly again.
I think as the tests were inconclusive last time I would go to the the vets armed with some more poo, also some of the stuff he is bringing up and a urine sample and have everything re- tested. I have known many times for tests to come back inconclusive first time round only to show something later.
I really hope they can get to the bottom of this for you both and I really feel for you.
(((hugs))) to you and some gentle (((hugs))) to leon.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about Leon still being so poorly again.
I think as the tests were inconclusive last time I would go to the the vets armed with some more poo, also some of the stuff he is bringing up and a urine sample and have everything re- tested. I have known many times for tests to come back inconclusive first time round only to show something later.
I really hope they can get to the bottom of this for you both and I really feel for you.
(((hugs))) to you and some gentle (((hugs))) to leon.
Thanks so much, he just asked to go out again, he's passed some more muddy water and then was really sick, his tummy is making dreadful noises, poor little chap, and he just can't get comfortable..its times like this I wish I was still in Lincolnshire, I could call that vet day or night and get immediate advice/treatment
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:33 AM
Oh no, hon, not again.....

I really thought you had turned the corner with Leon.

No advice to give, just sending loads of healing vibes

x0x0x
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:36 AM
As madmare said it could be worth running the blood test again as sometimes is can not show up the first time (for example Scratch was in a really bad way, they did blood tests it showed his liver enzymes were off the chart (when i mean off the chart it was beyond anything they has seen), his pacreatic enzymes were normal, they said it was his liver, they did an ultrasound,they see something, I am insisting pancreatitis, no no no was all I got, they sent the ultrasound to someone, and they said it was his pancreas and so they ran blood tests again, his liver enzymes were in the very high range (at least it had gone way done) but his pancreas enzymes had shot up, so pancreatitis was it. Just an example not saying anything like this with your boy, just to show that sometimes other things react after the first test.
You have a syringe too I thought I was alone in the back up syringe if they go off their water it is there to nip it in the bud.
got everything crossed for you here hurry up opening time
Emma

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Oh no, hon, not again.....

I really thought you had turned the corner with Leon.

No advice to give, just sending loads of healing vibes

x0x0x
Thanks Vicki, me too...I hate to see him so bad again, it just hit him like a thunderbolt in the early hours and his little face is all pinched where he is in discomfort.

The nearest vet, according to google, is only 1.5 miles away so I shall start ringing them from 8 am to see if I can get him there. xxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:41 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
As madmare said it could be worth running the blood test again as sometimes is can not show up the first time (for example Scratch was in a really bad way, they did blood tests it showed his liver enzymes were off the chart (when i mean off the chart it was beyond anything they has seen), his pacreatic enzymes were normal, they said it was his liver, they did an ultrasound,they see something, I am insisting pancreatitis, no no no was all I got, they sent the ultrasound to someone, and they said it was his pancreas and so they ran blood tests again, his liver enzymes were in the very high range (at least it had gone way done) but his pancreas enzymes had shot up, so pancreatitis was it. Just an example not saying anything like this with your boy, just to show that sometimes other things react after the first test.
You have a syringe too I thought I was alone in the back up syringe if they go off their water it is there to nip it in the bud.
got everything crossed for you here hurry up opening time
Emma

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))
Thanks Emma, he's already had 2 blood tests but they can take as much as they need if it gets to the bottom of it. I can't manage to get a sample of the other at the moment as it is just water. Hopefully the vets will be able to make him more comfy. xx
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2009, 05:45 AM
Poor Leon. As has been said, I'd be taking new samples.
Wish you luck with the new vet and getting this sorted *hugs*
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »