Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-01-2007, 06:48 AM

deadly dogs its a fashion thing.

Morning Folks

I Have just finished reading several articals on dangerous dogs and just cant seem to get my head around the new craze for big agressive dogs..

I understand that different people look for different things in there dogs. but why would some one dilibretly look for a dog that can and will harm people and other dogs.

Is it just another case of the bigger the dog the tougher the owner.(I understand some people are even using the dogs as weapons or threats during drug deals or other criminal activities.

I am a strong beliver that its not always the dogs fault, So is this a situation of the dog sufering due to the owners ignorance.

I know this is a difficult topic at the moment and supose it will always be asked but i feel its time the govenment finally acted as 15 years after the first publicised dog atack the govenment still have not delivered on the dangerous dog policy.

Just wandered what anyone else thought about this. And i must appologies if this touches any nerves with anyone at this time...
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by stephenkeane View Post
Morning Folks

I Have just finished reading several articals on dangerous dogs and just cant seem to get my head around the new craze for big agressive dogs....
There is nothing 'new' about it. It was exactly this need to have a big powerful dog as a p*enis extension for some very inadequate, small brained men that brought about the Dangerous Dogs Act in the first place.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
The dogs don't usually start out aggressive, they are made that way by their owners, and some of the owners are proud of the fact their dogs are aggressive.As has been said this 'fashion' has been around for years if not centuries, after all the big breeds were originally created by men for guard duty!
Becky
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
OH was walking up in the chilton hills recently. and there was a guy with 2 staffies, they where big, one was fine just stood there, but the other he had to physically man handle him to the ground, he had it in a head lock as it was trying to get at charlie n ben. charlie shot past quick dragging ben as twit on 4 legs thought he could take on a raging staffie. and yep the owner looked like a real peice of work.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 09:13 AM
It's always been around but it does appear more prominent today.

People see the media hype surrounding dogs such as Rotties, Staffords, AmStaffs, etc and think 'Oh if i get one of them I'll be the envy of all my mates and i'll be Mr Popular' unfortunately these kind of owners don't know the first thing about the breed.
potstillgold
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Absolutely right, ShaynLola.
It is a pretty sad state of affairs and a 'draconian' control too late, when control of who could actually own dogs in the past would have served us better. Breed Specific Legislation blanket control affects dozens of breeds (and types) and the list varies from country to country. Our list is aptly Dangerous Dogs, breeds that harbour potential or hazard to do humans extreme harm. Not specifically aggressive dogs (since there would certainly be more toy dogs on the list) because aggression and hazard aren't so correlated. Yet at least one breed should not be on the list in my opinion.
Too many people who are not socially qualified to own dogs do so and can breed them and sell them to other socially inept people. That's the root cause whether they are 'Gangstas' or not.
Somewhere along the line some breeders sold their integrity with a dog and here's where we are today......
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Sorry but everyone seems to be bringing up staffies, they are one of a few breeds that some people find clever to own purely for their ego, but there are also some very responsible owners who have staffies. We need to remember its not the dogs fault and its about time people started to punish the deed and not the breed. Anybodys dog on here could of ended up in the wrong hands no matter what their breed and turned out just as agressive.
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
As a side note, In darley dale where i live loads have people have staffies and english bull terriers and i must admit i have never meet a nasty one yet.

A friend in sheffield has and E,B,T and its as big as a house but as soft as muck but he still keeps it on a lead when he is out, as it loves to lick peoples faces. It tried this with a young lad once and knocked him over and odviously this scared the kid and his mother who started accusing my friend of having a dangerous dog. it took a few minutes but he managed to convince her that his dog was a big softy but he did it.

i think its nearly all down to how people treat there dog and what sort of image people want and unfortunatly we are getting overloaded with wanabe gangsters.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Yep lots of Staffies around here and most so friendly and cuddly, cannot see a chav with one of my dogs though so can see why they go for them, makes them feel more macho, makes me so angry seeing them deliberately rile them up to attack wish we could stop it, not fair on the dogs at all as its them who get the blame not the silly owners.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by stephenkeane View Post
unfortunatly we are getting overloaded with wanabe gangsters.
We are, and this is why staffies, ebt and rottweilers are getting such a bad name, and IMO its wrong, i personally think all dog owners should be licenced.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »