Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:24 AM

Sigh.....

On our rather eventful walk yesterday we had our dogs on lead most of the time (see other thread and Tango is still not reliable around people... )
Anyway, we met some lovely people who saw us and immediately called their dogs and popped them on the lead. I immediately shouted out that it was fine and ours were fine...just one wasn't reliable with recall and one was obsessed with water
Anyway...after the river incident, a dog came charging up to ours (who were onlead), we were by a bench checking out OHs rather wet mobile etc and sorting things out. The dogs were sitting waiting to carry on with the walk (well Cosmo was also trying to get back in again if I'm honest ).
Well...I saw some people (a lady and her teenage son) walking nearby and thought nothing of it...then a dog appeared and charged up to ours several times. It then ran away. He did this a couple of times then directed his attention to Tango who he approached growling. So I got between him and her and shouted at him...he backed off, but didn't leave us. The owner (the lady I had seen before ) then decides to come and see what her dog is doing and asks in a really accusatory manner what he had done 'as he has never done anything like that before' ('like what,' I should have asked, given he's not done anything before..oh hindsight...)
I explained he'd charged our dogs...'well what was he doing was he barking or growling I NEED to know' she said... Now had I not been in the middle of sorting a very soggy hubby I may have been more on the ball with my answer and focused on her allowing her dog to charge up to two, large, unknown dogs onlead. I didn't though, I explained he had been growling at Tango 'oh' says she 'he's never done that before'...I hasten to add he wasn't a small dog.

Now he seemed like a lovely, playful sort of dog that reacted to Tango being bouncy onlead and I am sure he would have legged it had my 2 been offlead and Flat Coated him...but still...the owner was so...well...aggressive with it. It was her dog that ahd come up to ours...

Believe it or not the rest of our walk was lovely!!!! (Apart from Tango getting herself stuck under a fence and not having the sense to walk backwards...but that was more fo a nice but dim moment... )
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh dear I am so glad as of yet I don't seem to of come across people like this.

On Sunday Ollie was a lunging barking snarling monster with a Staffie the only reason I can work out he doesn't like them is from last year when we were out with the Grandchildren and a very naughty one charged him and the Children and Owen is fearful of strange dogs and it was the only time I had ever seen Ollie have a go at any dog. He now does not like Staffies near him or us. Anyhow this chap was coming out of the woods and we were near the gate so Gorden had hold of his long line then the handle on his harness and we apologised the man was a bit taken aback but grateful to us for having him under control.

Yesterday Ollie and I were out on same field and there were some people with 3 dogs one a Staffie the ES we knew so they must of been walking Annie for Ken, all off lead so I made Ollie sit and watched the Staffie closely the man kept saying to her no leave so in the end I said he does not like Staffies sorry but he will go for her if she comes near he thanked me put her on her lead and walked on further up the field till we were both safe to let them go their own ways again.

It takes nothing does it a bit of polite conversation and as we have said before a bit of respect for one anothers space.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
You need a giant hug, honey. There's no dealing with some people.....

*Squiiiiiish* x0x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Oh dear, very eventful walk. What a stange woman though to claim her dog hadn't done it before but needed to know what he did?
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Sadly I find there are some people who just don't care really and try to point the blame elsewhere.

Hands A a nice cuppa with a choccie biccie oh and a couple of setter kisses
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Oh dear I am so glad as of yet I don't seem to of come across people like this.

On Sunday Ollie was a lunging barking snarling monster with a Staffie the only reason I can work out he doesn't like them is from last year when we were out with the Grandchildren and a very naughty one charged him and the Children and Owen is fearful of strange dogs and it was the only time I had ever seen Ollie have a go at any dog. He now does not like Staffies near him or us. Anyhow this chap was coming out of the woods and we were near the gate so Gorden had hold of his long line then the handle on his harness and we apologised the man was a bit taken aback but grateful to us for having him under control.

Yesterday Ollie and I were out on same field and there were some people with 3 dogs one a Staffie the ES we knew so they must of been walking Annie for Ken, all off lead so I made Ollie sit and watched the Staffie closely the man kept saying to her no leave so in the end I said he does not like Staffies sorry but he will go for her if she comes near he thanked me put her on her lead and walked on further up the field till we were both safe to let them go their own ways again.

It takes nothing does it a bit of polite conversation and as we have said before a bit of respect for one anothers space.
Exactly Lynn. As I say the other people we met immediately popped their dogs onlead, or called them and were putting them onlead as I said thank you..but that it was okay ours were fine just bouncy! This one woman though..(the dog was a greyhound) was just so rude, it must have been obvious we were busy and she didn't have the first clue where her dog was until I yelled at it! i wish I had been more on the ball, but I was still in shock! Mind you I would have kept it pleasant as our son was also there...
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
You need a giant hug, honey. There's no dealing with some people.....

*Squiiiiiish* x0x
Thanks Vicki. The rest of the walk was just lovely.
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Oh dear, very eventful walk. What a stange woman though to claim her dog hadn't done it before but needed to know what he did?
Becky
Exactly. I think she was ready to tell me her dog was playing... Which is actually beside the point given we had ours onlead surely? Aside from the fact that it was growling. How could she know he hadn't done itr before, if she didn't know what he had done????
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Sadly I find there are some people who just don't care really and try to point the blame elsewhere.

Hands A a nice cuppa with a choccie biccie oh and a couple of setter kisses
Mmmmmmmmm setter kisses and choccie biccies. Thank you.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Silly woman. It really is irritating when people have dogs Who Can Do No Wrong - so it must be yours ! Like the ones who remove their horrible snappy dog screeching abuse at yours and say `Oh, he doesn`t like Alsations (or beagles or whatever) implying that it`s your fault for walking past.
I hope your next walk is more peaceful.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Silly woman. It really is irritating when people have dogs Who Can Do No Wrong - so it must be yours ! Like the ones who remove their horrible snappy dog screeching abuse at yours and say `Oh, he doesn`t like Alsations (or beagles or whatever) implying that it`s your fault for walking past.
I hope your next walk is more peaceful.
Thanks...it was
I also hate the people who's dog mount mine and then they say 'oh he's never done that before, your dog must be neutered/giving off a funny smell!' Or my male dog has even been accused of being in season.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:23 PM
It sounds like she was a daft woman, but I am wondering if there was any possibility that she was just embarrassed - people can quite often come over gruff/aggressive in that situation.

I'm guessing she heard you shouting at her dog to know that he'd done something wrong & I think it is good that she wanted to know exactly what he'd been doing - albeit (1) she should've asked more politely (2) she should've been nearer her dog so she could see what was going on.

There's no point in letting people like this wind you up though Ramble - you'll spend half your life with high blood pressure!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks...it was
I also hate the people who's dog mount mine and then they say 'oh he's never done that before, your dog must be neutered/giving off a funny smell!' Or my male dog has even been accused of being in season.
Oh Lordy; don't get me started on that!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >