Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cath25
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Please - need some advice on constant barking

Can anybody help??

We have five dogs, four being absoulotely angels! But our fifth is a jack russell x yorkie! Shes a rescue from one of them kennels were they get 7 days! Shes not our only rescue, another two of them are too!

The problem is - She constantly barks! When i say barks, she barks, when you come in, she barks when you go out, she barks if you play fight, she barks if you hug, she barks if you speak any volume over talk, she barks if she hear a stick move in the wind - its not the barking at stuff, its the not stopping when starting.

We have tried allsorts - from having a spray bottle, which you squirt, a noise coller - a crate (Which she took to at first and it seemed to have worked, she really liked it in there) but it soon stopped working, taking her out of the room, now its just you end up shouting at her till she stops - shes driving everybody mad!! It doesnt help that we are a big family with people comming and going ALL day!

Oh and she also wont take to new people!

Dont get me wrong we love her dearly and when shes not barking she is the most loving dog ever!! We just really need some ideas of people who have been in the same situation!!

Please - Where at our whits end now!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2011, 06:48 AM
I have a friend with the same problem. She has 2 JRTs who set her other dogs off. It`s one dog who is starting it, and yes she has tried the Jan Fenell approach and the spray collars - neither of which worked.
So we had a quiet chat about it and decided that the girlie who is kicking it all off is a highly strung bitch and very stressed. So she is instituting ways to calm and de-stress the dog, which is working.
So she is left in her crate while the other dogs are got out of the car and taken in on her own. She goes into a calm house rather then leading a screaming mob in.
She is put on the lead when she starts bullying the other dogs and shouting at them. Let off when she calms down.
Separated from the others when she gets silly.
And so so.
Rather than the barking being the problem, look on it as the symptom of stress, then that gives you ideas about how to stop it?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2011, 07:47 AM
My terrier mix is known as the cheerleader for pretty much the same reasons. Gimme a B. gimme A, gimme R, gimme a K lets get BARKING. It doesn't help that being small and fast he can easily dodge out of the way and get himself in places that he isn't easily reachable so he can carry on barking at will clever little git. He's excitable and once he gets going he's hard to stop, shouting at him just turns it into a competition tbh. He had an operation recently after an accident and was allowed on the sofa to keep him out of harms way and so I could keep my eye on him not interfering with his stitches as he struggles with a buster collar. What I found was, he was easier to keep quiet when someone came in, just by telling him to stay and be quiet. So he has continued with his priviledge as long as he stays quiet. Also a trailing line in the house has made him far easier to keep from behind the sofa etc. minimising his opportunities for barking. Since acquiring his new status he's far easier to keep quiet, he now doesn't need to keep shouting, "Hello I'm over hear can't you see me" "Oi are you deaf or what" "What's a boy have to do to get noticed round here" He now knows he gets attention when he's quiet, and waits to be acknowledged. it's been a massive turnaround.