Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-05-2008, 07:04 PM

Is three months between seasons unusual

Tegen, my Brittany bitch, first came into season in July 2007, her second started in mid January of this year and she has just come into season for the third time just three months after the end of her last. Is this unusual.
spanielworld
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I had a lab bitch that did this I was due to get her spayed and had to phone the vet to cancel as she had come into season 3 months after her first

(not sure if she would have come into season again 3 months later as we got her spayed)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Its not common but not unheard of, had a 4 month cycle bitch & she became anaemic after a season so I had her spayed after a couple of years. Have had a bitch at the other extreme who only came in about every 13 months.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 12:22 PM
More frequent heats of less than 4 months are considered as a sign of Infertility and most vets advise spaying as a precaution to any further problems that might occur.

4 month cycles are not uncommon in GSDs but are uncommon in any other breeds.

I would speak to your vet and ask his advice.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
It is possible that her season in january may not have been complete - split season - where she failed to ovulate and that she is now ready to ovulate so has come into season again.

Maladay is right - short season cycles are a sign of infertility and have also been linked to conditions such as cystic ovaries, thyroid problems etc

If she goes through thsi season then doesn't come in for a more usual length (and every breed is different on this one it's not necessarily every six months) then i would put it down to a split season, however, if she continues to go on short cycles i'd get her checked out by the vet as the short cycles and associated problems can cause other problems and bitches with the short cycles are more prone to pyometra.

Kate
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 12:49 PM
mea has seasons every three to four months,,, She lives with nero now, I had one litter from her,, she hasnt had any ill effects from it but its a pain in the ass
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Scooby the bitch i just whelped for a friend has normal 4 month season's, she was checked as we thought cystic ovaries, she had 4 4monthly season's had a litter and never came back in for a year, she is due to be spayed soon as the lady don't want no more pup's from her.xx
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
We took Tegen to the vet this afternoon. He suspects that she is suffering from what he describes as low level pyometra. We're taking her back tomorrow morning so that they can do some tests to ascertain whether spaying is advisable tomorrow but it sounds like she'll be coming out with less bits than she will have when she goes in.

She seems quite happy and lively at the moment so I'm not concerned that she is suffering in any way and am hopeful that, in the not too distant future, the only consequence of this will be the lack of seasons.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Probably a good job you took her then. Hope everything goes well for her