Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahMF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Mast Cell Tumour

Hello folks,

Our beautiful Lia (8 year old Llewellin English Setter) had a growth removed from the top of her hind leg on Tuesday, and we were very shocked to have a call from the vet yesterday saying that what we all thought would be just a fatty lump was actually a Mast Cell Tumour.

The vet is hopeful that all the tumour was removed, but I wonder what the next step is?

Lia has her stitches out next Friday, and I can quiz the vet then, but I just wondered whether anyone else has experienced this with their dog?

Everything I read online just makes it more frightenng.

Lia has always been the fitter and healthier of my two dogs, rarely in the vets except for routine jabs, so this is most unexpected and upsetting.

Thanks for reading. x
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Star had a MCT removed from her hind leg a few years ago. After it is removed it was graded as a 1 so no further treatment was necessary. We never had any further problems with MCTs.

Its a waiting game at the moment until the results come back unfortunately WestieN has recently gone through this for the second time so will hopefully see this thread too and add her experience.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Sarah, I know this was not the news you wanted to hear, but can I suggest that you stop reading so much online until you can get the definitive answers from your vet? Because all the "maybe's" and "could be's" that crop up when you start googling are just that. "Maybe". "Could be".

In the meantime, cuddle your beautiful Lia and give her all the love you have for her.

(((hugs))) xxx
SarahMF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Star had a MCT removed from her hind leg a few years ago. After it is removed it was graded as a 1 so no further treatment was necessary. We never had any further problems with MCTs.

Its a waiting game at the moment until the results come back unfortunately WestieN has recently gone through this for the second time so will hopefully see this thread too and add her experience.
Hi Carole,
It's comforting to hear that your Star has had no further problems after having one removed. I hope the same for Lia, although I realise all cases are different.
Thank you.
SarahMF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Sarah, I know this was not the news you wanted to hear, but can I suggest that you stop reading so much online until you can get the definitive answers from your vet? Because all the "maybe's" and "could be's" that crop up when you start googling are just that. "Maybe". "Could be".

In the meantime, cuddle your beautiful Lia and give her all the love you have for her.

(((hugs))) xxx
Thank you for your wise advice and kind words, Malka.
Lia couldn't possibly be loved and hugged any more than she is - but we shall certainly try! xx
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
My dog had a mct grade 2 9 years ago. He's 12 now and has had no further problem. The outcome can vary a great deal, I hope you dog is one of the lucky ones like mine. Take your vet's advice and keep an eye on him, get any further lumps looked at.
SarahMF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by joto View Post
My dog had a mct grade 2 9 years ago. He's 12 now and has had no further problem. The outcome can vary a great deal, I hope you dog is one of the lucky ones like mine. Take your vet's advice and keep an eye on him, get any further lumps looked at.
That's really good to hear, Joan. I'm so glad that your lad has done so well, and I can only wish the same for our Lia. We certainly shall be keeping a very close eye on her from now on!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Fingers crossed for your beautiful Lia xx
SarahMF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Fingers crossed for your beautiful Lia xx
Thank you Eileen. x
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi It seems from what you said,that your dog is usually strong and healthy,so this should stand her in good stead,but there are unfortunately lots of articles on this subject,here on dogsey.Keep us posted Gemini54
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >