Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:29 AM

Zane got splatted but made a new friend

Hi,

I've just got back from the airport fields with Zane. We've been there for about 90 minutes, the first half hour of which we did a bit of training and after that there were a few too many other people, dogs, cars and other distractions so I allowed Zane to go snuffling about off lead.

He met a new friend - a 9 month old Great Dane who is twice as big as Zane and it seems, a lot heavier, He was already off lead and came bounding over.

He didn't return to his owner when called back but at least he did stop about 8 feet away from Zane and didn't move until his ownre caught up. We said our hellos and I agreed to let him meet Zane and have a play. About 5 minutes into the play time the Dane was a distance away (they'd been running about chasing each other) and came at Zane sideways. He pounded Zane with both front feet and knocked the wind out of his sales. I've never known a dog be able to floor Zane before - purely because of his size and strength.

Zane wasn't hurt at all and within a minute or so afterwards they were running about again.

So although he got a taste of his own medicine, Zane has a new friend (called Max). The other owner said usually people back off and won't allow her dog to play with theirs once this happens or when they see him; something I can relate to owning GSDs.

They're usually on the field every morning but because we're always there about half an hour earlier than they are, we've never met before. We're both moving out early walks by about 15/20 mins so we can meet up and the dogs can play.

So all in all, a very successful morning so far.

Laura xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:50 AM
How lovely to have found a friend that Zane can rough & tumble with & great for Max too.

I sometimes see a man with a young Great Dane on my early morning walks too. We're usually the only ones on the park at 5.30 a.m. The first time we met the Great Dane was off lead & came flying over to us (I swear I could feel the ground shake as she ran over ~ she's huge & black & quite scary-looking!). My dogs were quite intimidated by her & went into defensive growly mode ~ but she was only about 9 months old then & as soon as she saw my dogs' reaction she laid down & did silly puppy-like wiggly things. After that we were happy to meet up & she used to bound around my dogs while they did their best to pretend she wasn't the size of a small pony!

That was last summer & I didn't see this man & the Great Dane over the dark winter mornings. I now sometimes see him at a distance but he actively avoids me & his dog is always on a lead now. I'm curious to know what has changed ....... I just hope nothing horrible's happened with his dog.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi,

Max is the first Dane I've seen around here. It's great that there's a dog (& owner) who isn't put off by Zane's size.

Shame about the Dane you know though. Maybe the dog has been involved in something he shouldn't ahve been and the owner is erring on the side of caution.

It' dificult whn you have big dogs though isn't it. There's the stigma of the dog's size to begin with and then there are the fools who panic when a large breed dog behaves as they shoudl do. Ruins it for everyone.

Maybe you could approach (even at a distance) to find out what happened with his dog? At least then you'd know.

Laura xx
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-08-2010, 08:28 AM
my lurcher used to play with a Dane last year when they were pups but the owner does the same now when we see them, he never lets it off the lead anymore, maybe they think the dogs just get too big to play with normal sized dogs.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Heehee sounds like Kiba and his Irish Wolfhound buddy! Not many other dogs can floor Kiba anymore, there are dogs he will automatically submit to but not many that could physically knock him off his feet, but this Irish Wolfhound pup Percy is just a little older than Kiba and comes bounding over or Kiba's run off after him and you can just see them rolling around on the floor.

It's really nice watching big dogs play, and to meet someone who has a bigger dog than you and doesn't run off screaming at the sight of your dog!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
It's nice that Zane has someone to play with

I do like the Danes, they are so big and lollopy, big goofy lumps Same with the Irish Wolfhounds, I do really like them, even if they do come up to my ribs;p
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Sounds like they all had a great time, I love it when we bump into our neighbourhood dane, (I'm a little over 6' and she comes upto my hip! ) think it's good for Chester to interact with all sorts of dogs from chihuahuas to danes. I have a soft spot for wolfhounds too, just as soppy as danes aren't they, but none round here that I've met yet!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi,

I'm hoping that the 2 dogs will always be friends. Zane has other doggy friends but I get the impression the Dane doesn't - which is a shame for a young dog/puppy.

I've never known a Dane personally other than the one owned by my grandparents neighbours when I was around9/10 years old. Her name was Greta and she was Badger's (my Gramps's SBT) girlfriend. Badger couldn't get over the fence so if the 2 wanted to play, Greta would just step over it. The owners would be up in arms about it but I just thought it was funny.

I did meet one who was 11 months old and weighed over 11 stone at a dog show in Burton a couple of months back. He was a real goofy lump but lovely. Plenty of slobber too!

Laura xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I'm hoping that the 2 dogs will always be friends. Zane has other doggy friends but I get the impression the Dane doesn't - which is a shame for a young dog/puppy.

I've never known a Dane personally other than the one owned by my grandparents neighbours when I was around9/10 years old. Her name was Greta and she was Badger's (my Gramps's SBT) girlfriend. Badger couldn't get over the fence so if the 2 wanted to play, Greta would just step over it. The owners would be up in arms about it but I just thought it was funny.

I did meet one who was 11 months old and weighed over 11 stone at a dog show in Burton a couple of months back. He was a real goofy lump but lovely. Plenty of slobber too!

Laura xx
I feel the same about the Great Danes I've known ~ they're like the outsize child in a class full of midgets & everyone expects them to behave like grown ups just because they're big.

We've had a couple of youngsters in training classes & both were such lovely natured dogs, daft but lovely. One owner had taught her 9 month old pup to lie down when another dog approached (& how hard is that for such a young dog!) but she said her dog had been able to meet & make friends with more dogs because he didn't look so intimidating in the initial greeting. When we had the outdoor training lesson in the local park, this Dane was one of the gentlest & calm young dogs I've ever seen & was overjoyed when a lab puppy decided to try & play with him ~ it was so sweet to see them together. Sadly I heard a while ago that the poor young dog had had a heart attack & died at just 3 years old.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Hi,

That's really sad. He hadn't had chance to enjoy his life.

Danes, IMO, have to play up. They look like big silly lumps so they shold behave that way. I suppose those who own them prefer them to behave but personally I like a dog that has a "norty" spark.

I've taken Oscar this morning to see the KArate Kid at the cinema. He's seen Marmaduke advertised so no doubt we'll ahve to go see that when it's out later this summer. He was the same over Hachi when that came out too.

Laura xx