Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Leaving the tv on for your dog..

I have noticed that i have started leaving the tv on for the dogs when i go out ...
god knows why, i am sure they dont need advice on buying a house or moving to the counrty..lol
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
LOL - I have started going one small step further... Not only do I leave the TV on for Dexter, but I also now check which shows are going to be on, so I can avoid anything with dogs in just in case he gets distressed at hearing the barking......

Yep. Have lost the plot.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Don't mean to be a killjoy but I would be wary of leaving a TV on when no one is at home - as any fireman will advise!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Leaving the radio on`s cheaper.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:01 PM
I bought the planet earth box set for Keisha when she was a pup to leave on!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
LOL - I have started going one small step further... Not only do I leave the TV on for Dexter, but I also now check which shows are going to be on
Me too, couldn't bare the thought of leaving Scoop with football or sport on
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Cheech is a tv addict,we leave it on for her when we're in another room but not when we're out.[IMG][/IMG]

Anyone guess what she is?Pic taken when she was a pup which isn't really fair but (hint) she's not a terrier!No one has ever got it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I would never leave the tv or radio on in my absence for the dogs.

1 Fire risk
2 I have not got money to burn, so save energy and money
3 I do not want my dogs to hear "noise" all the time and desensitise them to sound
4 It is no substitute for company
5 What if they have something on that could distress your dog such as horrible noises, flashing lights etc?

I like silence, I think my dogs like it too!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Sorry have to admit I'm in the tv on or some noise camp too but do have a one step further... I have made a playlist on my mac iTunes for them called dogs at home which includes tracks I have recorded of my voice telling them to settle down and go to bed etc... Neighbours have said it's working and they never hear them bark or whine in the day anymore...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Sorry have to admit I'm in the tv on or some noise camp too but do have a one step further... I have made a playlist on my mac iTunes for them called dogs at home which includes tracks I have recorded of my voice telling them to settle down and go to bed etc... Neighbours have said it's working and they never hear them bark or whine in the day anymore...
thats a great idea i know my breeder has two dogs who kick off the minute she leaves the house.. which then sets all the others off and they start howling when i go to shows with her, they start when we get in the car and she can hear them, so shes phones the house phone and leaves a message on the answerphone teling them to be quiet made me laugh the first time she did it i lieave the radio on for mine, because i know if they heard a noise outside they didnt like, particularly nana pap, he would start barking, and he can be quite hard to stop.
also i wouldnt want to sit for 5 hours in complete silence, so i dont mind leaving them a bit of background noise. its never quiet when i am in so dont see why it should be when im not there.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »