Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bangs_18
New Member!

13-02-2005, 12:47 AM

WHat do you look for in a new pup

hi, what do you look for in a new pup?
I'm looking for a new pup soon, what should i be looking for if i have pick of the litter. I have my sights on the presa breed, i have been for a while....
JOn
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Presas are not my breed so I can only generalize.

First of all, if you have confidence that the breeder is ethical and knowledgable, then be guided by him/her. It helps if you tell them what you want of the dog - pet, show, work, obedience, agility, etc.

When selecting any pup you should look for bright eyes; ears that look and smell clean; there should be no eye or nose discharge; bottoms should be clean; look for hernias; the coat should be of the correct colour for the breed (bear in mind that some will darken with age), and there should be no sign of dandruff; very young pups are not always good at co-ordination but there should be no limping; breath should smell only of 'puppy'.

The puppies immediate surroundings should be clean.

Assess how they individually react to you - whether shy, bold, or middling. Do not chose the smallest, shyest one just because you feel sorry for it. Be aware that the largest of the litter may turn out to be 'coarse' as it matures.

It is important that you are allowed to meet the dam. Assess her temperament. If she shows any sign at all of aggression, shyness, fear, nervousness, then steer clear of that particular litter.

Hope this helps. Above all, do lots of research on the breed and find a reputable breeder who will help you with any problems throughout the dog's life. Good luck.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Making this a sticky as I'm sure it will help lots of people!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Would only question the "there should be no sign of dandruff" in some breeds periods of dandruff are not uncommon in puppies and do not mean much except the pup has a thick probably double coat. Have always thought of it a similar to cradle cap.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

13-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Can you give us some examples of these breeds please Thords? That way any newbies will have the info
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Have seen it in my own breed and also Newfoundlands and GSD’s understand it is not that unusual in all sorts of coated breeds, think it usually goes after the first bath but some pups seem to throw scurf when they are a bit worried, like being picked up by a series of puppy viewers. Adults do it too, ever noticed what you leave behind on the vets table? Mind you may be short coated breeds don't do I, have only ever had coated breeds.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

13-02-2005, 04:38 PM
I look for a strong bold puppy which is sure of itself, and comes running to be fussed. I like to see a spirited pup with bright healthy eyes and a waggy tail

In bull breeds I look for a nice wide, straight front, good length of back, and I judge future head size by the width between the eyes and size of skull in comparison to the littermates.

I always look for a puppy which has the X factor, something that sets it apart from its littermates. When you breed your own pups you have the advantage of being able to see them 24/7 so you quickly suss out which are keepers

good luck and look forward to seeing pics of your presa when you get him/her
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2005, 06:34 PM
May I add a couple of thing to those above I like a puppy with good solid bone...thin bones to me means nothing to grow, not coarse but good bone and rounded knuckles..also in a breed that tends to fly it's ears particularly in a breed with American/ear cropping ancestry I look for thickish ears not paper thin ones you can see through, they will be less inclined to fly
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Agree about bone, like to see good thick joints, and would add it is easier to look for hernias if you hold the pup round the chest and let the hind legs dangle. When looking for clean eyes, ears and bottoms check the whole litter. If you are having a male check for testicles, it can be difficult it you are not used to it but it is worth asking the breeder to check for you and if you have no one with you ask for the fact to be noted on the receipt. Would guess some breeds can’t be felt at 8 weeks but in most cases they can.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2005, 01:13 PM
why shadowboxer would a pup that is to become a pet be any different to one that is for showing do breeders only like the "show dog" going to a show home? only asking as i used to show a number of years ago not now, but still would like to have a pup as good as the next if i was to buy one there are too many in rescue these,s days so that is hardly likely to happen just thought I,d ask
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >