View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Just an idea, and one i definately need all your opnions on!

basically there could be a chance to have my own boarding kennels of sorts.... but im not sure its going to happen yet as its just in the ideas and talking stage.

basically my OH who lives in a pub, also has a HUGE function room/hall on the back, which at the minute is being rented by a man who values and sells antiques. however his leese runs out soon, and my OHs mum has come up with an idea of turning it into a kennels.

think of the size of a like a cow shed... and thats the size it is.

his mum loves animals and said she would love to work with them. the idea we have come up with is to split the room up into equal sized kennels. we want them a big size, not the normal kennel size you see at boarding kennels.

what she wants to do is make the kennels more homely than a boarding kennel, make the kennels look like rooms in a house, i.e maybe have a sofa in one, or if the dog is used to being in a kitchen, a small table and chairs set etc.
the dogs would never on their own. the plan is to have someone in the room with them. (not in the individual kennel, but in the room) the dogs would have an excerise yard to toilet in, but we would also give them hour long lead walks, and would have the use of a secure field for off lead exercise.
the plan is to have no more than 6 dogs boarding at a time, which would mean 3 dogs to a person, seeing as it would mainly be me and OHs mum working there.

i quite like the idea, and it would also give me somewhere to set up grooming if i can save for this course and do it.

what do people think? would you be happy to board your dog somewhere that only has 6 dogs at a time? all views welcome please sorry for the long post
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a fab idea if you ahve the money to do it all.

Personally I would never board my dogs BUT if I had to then I would rather board them in a small establishment like that, it would make me more confident that my dog would be given plenty of attention.

Go for it
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Before you get excited you would need to check that the type of building it is CAN be used for that purpose and what sort of licencing you would need etc..

Might get a bit wiffy in there too!! so I would think about sorting out ventilation aswell
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
thanks

well thats what we thought because neither of us would ever board our dogs, but if we had to, i would want them to be somewhere where i knew they had lots of attention.

6 kennels means 3 dogs each. unless some one has 2 dogs in one kennel then obviously it varies a bit but it means that they will have alot more attention that if we had 10/20 kennels.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
On the one hand - sounds like a great idea, I'd love to do something similar.

On the other hand, 6 dogs a day at £15 gives £90 - doesn't sound like a lot between 2 and to cover cost of setting up. Even if you get it rent free, OH looses income from lease.

I hope I don't come across as being too negative, but it's the first thing that struck me. Like I said, I'd love to do something like that, so I hope it works out for you.

All the best.

Michael
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Before you get excited you would need to check that the type of building it is CAN be used for that purpose and what sort of licencing you would need etc..

Might get a bit wiffy in there too!! so I would think about sorting out ventilation aswell
i know what licencing i need from working in a kennels and what insurance. ventilation wise, there are massive double doors at the back of the hall, and i mean huge, you could drive a high top van in them... and theres also huge bay windows that open on either side of the hall, think four on each side... never counted them lol

will try and take some pictures of the outside. cant take them in cos the antique man wont let me in there
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:01 AM
I thought the exact same thing, 2 people covering a 24 hour shift and only having 6 dogs in would not really pay well at all and would still be hard work. But thats just my business brain working sorry
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
On the one hand - sounds like a great idea, I'd love to do something similar.

On the other hand, 6 dogs a day at £15 gives £90 - doesn't sound like a lot between 2 and to cover cost of setting up. Even if you get it rent free, OH looses income from lease.

I hope I don't come across as being too negative, but it's the first thing that struck me. Like I said, I'd love to do something like that, so I hope it works out for you.

All the best.

Michael
it wouldnt be the OH running it with me, but his mum, who currently only runs a market stall 2 days a week. the OH would still be working doing the job he is doing now.
and it will be rent free because its owned by my OHs parents, the whole pub and grounds are so theres no worrying about rent, would just be electric and things. dont worry your not being negative, if anything youre making me realise what else i need to think about!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
basically there could be a chance to have my own boarding kennels of sorts.... but im not sure its going to happen yet as its just in the ideas and talking stage.

basically my OH who lives in a pub, also has a HUGE function room/hall on the back, which at the minute is being rented by a man who values and sells antiques. however his leese runs out soon, and my OHs mum has come up with an idea of turning it into a kennels.

think of the size of a like a cow shed... and thats the size it is.

his mum loves animals and said she would love to work with them. the idea we have come up with is to split the room up into equal sized kennels. we want them a big size, not the normal kennel size you see at boarding kennels.

what she wants to do is make the kennels more homely than a boarding kennel, make the kennels look like rooms in a house, i.e maybe have a sofa in one, or if the dog is used to being in a kitchen, a small table and chairs set etc.
the dogs would never on their own. the plan is to have someone in the room with them. (not in the individual kennel, but in the room) the dogs would have an excerise yard to toilet in, but we would also give them hour long lead walks, and would have the use of a secure field for off lead exercise.
the plan is to have no more than 6 dogs boarding at a time, which would mean 3 dogs to a person, seeing as it would mainly be me and OHs mum working there.

i quite like the idea, and it would also give me somewhere to set up grooming if i can save for this course and do it.

what do people think? would you be happy to board your dog somewhere that only has 6 dogs at a time? all views welcome please sorry for the long post
Who owns the pub?? you may have to look at the tenant agreement to see if you can turn this into such a venture.

Can see many pit falls., first where are you going to walk your charges?? whats the secure field like, how do you get to it,

Is the building connected to the pup, or is it a separate entity.

Whats the ventilation in the "shed" if its one, I would not send my dogs to a place , that they had no outside access.

What about noise level, dogs barking in a built up area, (or neighbours) may pose a problem for getting planning permission.

I think, you have a lot of hurdles to get across first, the maim being the brewery , and what they have to say on the matter.

All that being said, if you can cross all you t`s then go for it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
I thought the exact same thing, 2 people covering a 24 hour shift and only having 6 dogs in would not really pay well at all and would still be hard work. But thats just my business brain working sorry
we would both live on the property. its all attatched to the pub, which (when i move in) we will both live upstairs. so when we are asleep there wouldnt be any need for either of us to be paid, licensing laws mean there has to be someone on the property 24 hours a day 7 days a week. which there would be.

business brain is good i dont have one
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »