Our sister sites
Our sister sites
frazzle
New Member!
Male 

13-08-2012, 06:53 PM

Puppy question - mothers milk bad?

hi, im new to the forum so please go easy

I am placed a deposit on a puppy when he was 3 weeks old. Turns out that the breeder didnt see any growth from 3 to 4 weeks old, so he assumed the mothers milk was bad. He took the mother away and started feeding dry food and the puppies began growing again.
Puppy is now 7 weeks and im getting ready to take him. Breeder says the litter puppies are a little smaller than usual due to this week of no growth, but assured me 100% that the full sized dog will not be any different (ie growth wont be stunted at all) and that he wont suffer any health problems long term (nor did he have any at the time of no growth)

Due to wanting a largeish dog, i am keen that the growth wont be stunted, and of course even more importantly that the dog is healthy. Could an expert please give me their thoughts? If you dont know, please dont simply put your guess, as its a massive decision as to taking the pup or waiting for another litter

thanks

paul
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2012, 06:55 PM
It would be helpful to know what breed so people who may be experienced in that breed may be able to give you the information you are looking for.
frazzle
New Member!
Male 

13-08-2012, 07:12 PM
the breed is an olde english bulldoggee, and the breeder is very well known and respected. I honestly dont believe the breeder is trying to mislead me, but assumed this kind of thing doesnt happen often so maybe he doesnt know?

Paul
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Least they told you what was going on ...Is there a breed standard ?
frazzle
New Member!
Male 

13-08-2012, 08:46 PM
here is the breed standard

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/oldeenglishbulldogge.htm

paul
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Firstly, hello and welcome

If I were you I would contact other breeders of this breed and ask them what they think. I've found a website which I'm sure you will probably be aware of, but in case you are not I would advise you to ask advice - lots of contacts on there. This is the link which I hope works for you.
www.oldeenglishbulldoggekennelclub.com/

If the breeder is reputable, which it sounds from what you've said they are, they will have the puppies checked by a vet when they have their first inoculations. Could you ask to speak to the vet yourself and at least get 'first hand' information as to the puppy's condition etc. My dogs' breeder had no problems with me speaking to his vet about one of the puppies.

Good luck and I really hope you get the reassurance you are looking for. If you do go ahead, we'd love to see photos of the little pup.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I'm surprised to read that you can feed dry dog food to 3 week old puppies?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Not sure what you mean by the "mothers milk gone bad"??

Never heard of milk spoiling inside the dam before, or do you mean its not nutritional enough for the pups, if that`s what you mean, I would be asking myself why that is ??

Maybe the breeder has not given the dam the right nutrition to sustain her through pregnancy and whelping

Sorry but for me, something does not ring true, only my cynical opinion though .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Sorry but for me, something does not ring true, only my cynical opinion though .
Not cynical - even if the mother were malnourished or ill and not producing enough milk, surely a good breeder would leave the pups with the dam and supplement their feeding. Puppies need their mum.
Who regards this breeder well? Is it comments on their website or do you have independent recommendations?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Not cynical - even if the mother were malnourished or ill and not producing enough milk, surely a good breeder would leave the pups with the dam and supplement their feeding. Puppies need their mum.
Who regards this breeder well? Is it comments on their website or do you have independent recommendations?
100% agree
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >