View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spasmos
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2011, 03:18 PM

How can we encourage healthy weight gain/is it necessary?

We have a 15 month old Border Collie who is obviously still growing. He weighs 17.5kg, but appears to be fairly thin. At his last vet check up the vet was happy with his weight but said little more about it.

Can anyone reassure us on his weight, or how it may be possible to change his diet to encourage healthy weight gain.

All his weight at the moment appears to be muscle - there is very little fat, his ribs can be easily felt.

Currently feed on a active dog dry food with a pouch of meat and gravy twice a day, including liver cake treats for training and occasional scraps from the table.

He is not neutered (I don't know if that makes any difference?) and shares the house with our much older, fatter Border Collie - she has been known to steal his food occasionally, but we generally keep an eye on them whilst they eat so that this does not happen anymore...

He never appears to be hungry except when he knows its time to eat according to his routine! Otherwise, he is just obsessed with play.

He is very, very active...

I hope I have included nay information that may help!!
Any advice, especially from Collie owners would be much appreciated!

Thankyou
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 03:34 PM
An entire male dog of any breed at this age will tend to be on the rangy side.
The dog will start to put weight on later on.

If the dog has sufficient energy etc there is no need to worry.

Most people are used to seing overweight dogs rather then fit ones.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi!
Im not an expert but thought id share my experience, seeing as I own 3 BCs, including a 15 month old boy, Simba!

I always felt Sim was very skinny with very little meat on his bones, he is still quite skinny but not as bad!

Because they have so much excersize I think their fat is turned into muscle quickly, so they look skinnier than if they had a bit of fat...if that makes sense?

We had Sim nuetered in January, and in the last, di say, 2 months-ish, he has seemed to 'fill out' and not look quite as skinny.
Maybe this is because of the nuetering?

What food is he fed on? Sometimes particular foods just dont help them put weight on.

I think if hes fit and healthy I wouldnt worry too much, they vary so much dont they
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I've had BCs since 1970 & all my young dogs have been what is termed hard/dry condition-ie very muscled up & no extra fat anywhere. They have not even started to"body"up until they are at least 3 yrs old

I currently have 4 BCs 2 dogs & 2 bitches, they are split into two types. My smooth dog & medium coated bitch are ISDS/working bred half brother & sister & the two rough coated ones(one is a medium rough rough coat)are KC reg Obedience full brother & sister.

The two ISDS dogs are both much "harder/drier"in condition than the two KC reg ones, but none of them is over weigh, but my KC reg dog is a total different body type to the other three, having more"spring of rib"& bone.

They are all very active & are all fed the same part organic raw/part organic complete.

I wouldn't want an immature BC to be carrying a lot of body so don't worry about your dog. I don't castrate my dogs except for medical reasons, I do spay my bitches if they are not going to be bred from or after they have been bred from & I've never seen any difference in the rates of bodying up
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 04:17 PM
I've had BCs since 1970 & all my young dogs have been what is termed hard/dry condition-ie very muscled up & no extra fat anywhere. They have not even started to"body"up until they are at least 3 yrs old
Well I don't have the same breed but I can say the same thing here about my male dobe.

I wouldnt worry as long as he is healthy, thats the main thing.

If anyone coments on him being skinny just remind them he is a pup and have a look at their dog - it will probably be fat
spasmos
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies - has definitely put my mind at rest. He is certainly a very happy active dog, so, unless anything changes, I think we will keep his diet the same.

TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 09:40 PM
My 14 month old girl only weighs 12.4 kgs, she's not a big girl, about 18" tall, her mum weighs just under 15 kgs and is about 19" tall. I took my youngster to the vets Tuesday for her annual vaccs/checkup and she just said she was a lively girl and just burnt all the calories!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Our Boxer bitch has always been on the slim side even after being spayed. She has never weighed anymore than 21/23 kilos. Her attitude to life is, why walk when you can run

Theyre all different.....
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 12:11 PM
My GWPx was on the very lean side up until about 3 years of age (I even had the RSPCA round as somebody had reported a malnourished dog!) His haunches used to protrude, as did his ribs but he had excellent muscle definition and limitless energy. He'd burn his food off quicker than I could provide it but my vet was happy with him so I gave up worrying in the end.

He's still very lean but at 4 years of age I can now keep him at a nice weight and he's filled out as he's matured.

If your dog is fit and happy then I wouldnt worry.