Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 04:55 PM

Demanding Behaviour - How Do I Stop It?

One of my main issues with Flynn is his demanding behaviour. He will bark at you incessently if you have something he wants such as a toy, food etc. He also barks if you happen to stand still too long on a walk and he wants to get moving and when he wants to come out of the car. He will also bark in protest such as making him do something he doesnt want to.

When he does this, I never give him what he wants but the noise factor is causing an issue. Obviously our neighbours come into the equation and I feel i'm under pressure at one training class to keep him quiet (since he does nothing but bark throughout the various exercises).

I dont want to use anything like a spray collar or stones in a bottle as Jed is very sensitive to things like this and I dont want to affect him when he isnt doing anything wrong.
I attempt to ignore Flynn when he's behaving like this but it's difficult to do so and sometimes ignoring him in certain situations isnt practical.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can put an end to his demanding ways as it's driving us insane and making progression troublesome.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Sorry I can't help, I have a bitch pup whos exactly the same so I can sympathise, will be watching this thread with interest. We have tried the water squirting she doesn't care!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 05:29 PM
I`ve an old GSP who started to demand-bark as he got older and grumpier. It was pontless to tell him Quiet (he knows to bark and to stop on command from his Working Trials days) as he`s now stone deaf, and you can`t ignore it as it`s just so LOUD!!!!! So in the end when he started we took him by the collar and gently but firmly took him out of the room and closed the door (we didn`t say a word all this time). He stayed there for a while, then was let back in. We only had to repeat this a few times bfore he got the message.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Clairre and Daisy I will try that with Fudge too. She is agobby girl too.....

I taught her the speak command in order to then go on and teach the quiet but she picked up the first really easily and will do it to a hand signal as well. She has not however picked up the quiet command yet.......
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Try turning your back on him instantly when he does this. Apparently they want to make eye contact, so if you turn your back they can't see your eyes! See if it works! I heard it on the radio the other day, and I used to do this with Cassie sometimes, worked every time! Good luck and let us know!
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2008, 07:46 PM
my dog Shamus was just like that and everyone hated him,then we watched a training program on tv and here is what worked for us.
whenever he barked at me or anyone else,I immediatley put him on a leash and walked him around making him heel,sit etc and at the same time telling him shh and giving him a leash correction if he barked,when he went quiet we relaxed he came off the leash and was allowed to be normal.
With the toy(in his case it was sticks)I reached out and grabbed his nose,shaking it gently and telling him shh no my stick,and if he continued barking on leash we went again.It took maybe 2 days for him to learn if I said shh,he better, and if I took the stick off him he wasnt allowed to complain. I played with him at intervals making the point that if I wanted to play ,we would,and if I didnt want to play he couldnt harass me by barking at me,I let him keep the stick sometimes so he learned that he could play with it on his own, as long as he didnt involve me by barking,whenever he did I took the stick and on the leash he went,it was a miracle,my dog went from being a pain in my yingyang to being a nice pleasant guy to be around.
I am no dog trainer let me tell you, I just pick up strays and rescues and have them around for pets this was a huge challenge for me,even though I train horses I have no
clue about dogs, it was very interesting that making him work when he misbehaved (something I wouldnt have thought of on my own)had an immediate effect,and was way better than all the shouting shut up,and being tense and mad all the time.
I will be interested too to see what all the good dog trainers on here have to say also.
xxxBLxxx
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2008, 07:18 PM
AARRRGGGGG Hector has found his voice & is now like a stroppy teenager if he doesnt get his own way.

I have shouted stop, he ignores me.
I put him out of the room 4 a few mins, he comes back in & starts again. We can do this process 4eva but he still barks.
I turn my back & he continues.

If he doesn't get his own way, he is a bloody nightmare.

Advice please...............