View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:31 AM

What grooming tools to use for thick fur?

Hi, My mum has a shih tzu cross bichon frise. He is gorgeous to look at but when it comes to grooming him its not easy.
He has very thick fur and it matts easily. Ive only ever used a comb and this takes ages and is not very good at getting the knots out.
I do remember using one of those de-matting tools which cut the tags out so i will get one of those but im looking more for advice on what the best brush is to use?
Ive also seen some pethead deep conditioner stuff and detangle spray if anyone has any experience of them?

Emma x
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2010, 11:19 AM
When i used to help out at a grooming palour, they used slicker brushes.

I found they work really well to get all the knots and matts out. They would also use very very sharp scissors to 'cut through' the matts without making a mess of the fur.

If he is really bad, i'd perhaps recommend taking him to be groomed so that the groomer can clip him quickly and painlessly. Then all you need to do is keep on top of it.
Shangri-La
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Yep you need to get slicker brushes
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your replies, so i need to get a slicker brush then!

Ive made it sound like hes really matted lol hes not actually that bad he just has a few in places where i think my mum misses when shes grooming him like where his collar is and under his armpits, back legs.
When he comes round to my house i give him a good brush but because my dogs hair isnt very long i only have a comb which isnt very good.

Emma x
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Use the slicker brush first and do use your comb after. If you find any knots, stop immediately and gently tease it out, if not, cut it out.

Think of it this way, your armpits are hairy and really long.... but the hair is all knotted up, you try to reach for an item on the top shelf, guess how painful that would be. So imagine a dog trying to lift it's leg to pee or jump into the car or run around...that's how I explain it to my clients.

Make sure you lift up the fur and brush/comb in layers all over.

You can buy conditioners, cream/spray that will help between grooms.

Doublesided thining scissors are great so that the fur does not look like it has been cut and will blend in better, but that will come with a little experience.

6" round tips straight edge scissors will help with careful area's needing cut.

Set up a time when you can go and speak with your groomer and ask for their advice and to show you how to keep your dog knot free and the tools needed. They will be glad to help I am sure, (I do) the more the dog is comfortable with grooming the easier it is to work with your dog when he comes in.....and it is more enjoyable for them both.

Last but not least.....I think it's brillant what you are doing, trying to stay on top of the grooming and even asking questions to help your mother's dog. Gold Star!
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks thats a really helpful reply.
I did buy loads of grooming stuff a few weeks ago...one of those dematter tools, a slicker brush and some detangling spray.

I found all this stuff much easier to use than just the comb. I was so impressed with the slicker brush ive kept one for my own dog.

Mums dog is looking much better now he's been clipped and she's gona take him groomers about every 3 months so the fur is more manageble!

Emma x