Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 05:08 PM

Margaret Thatcher?

Does anyone have an opinion on the fact her daughter Carol Thatcher has written a book and spoken of her mothers altzheimer's/dementia.....

Is it wrong or is it right. I think she as right as by publicising it/speaking of it in public this case a book as it brings the condition into the light out of the shadows....the more we speak of it the more we come to "understand" the strain that accompanies it to their loved ones..... the ones who care for them.

Agree or not?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Agree. A lady who I walk a dog for is the carer for her husband who is in the early stages of dementia. It's an awful illness and more information is needed as well as support for the families of those affected.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Agree. A lady who I walk a dog for is the carer for her husband who is in the early stages of dementia. It's an awful illness and more information is needed as well as support for the families of those affected.

I agree totaly similar to prostate and bowel cancer a few years ago no one spoke of either other than in "hushed tones" yet now they are spoke of openly because of the publicity..and have to say someone famous get it and we do talk of it llike this thread for intances...small baby steps.
My uncle has dementia and we did not realise at first when we did it was too late he was sectioned for his own safety....once we knew what it was (difficult to believe we did not realise now) but you expect older pople to be forgetful plus the loss of his wife and he lived alone....you do wonder how people cope full time.....
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Agree with both of you, it can only help others to talk about it
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

28-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Karen - Why has Carol Thatcher written a book What outstanding achievements has she accomplished What major change in the science or arts world has she made IIRC She's some kind of media person isn't she

I agree that publicity about the alzheimers / dementia condition can only help both the sufferers and the medical research people but I am very much against people writing books for no good reason apart from the fact they are in the media and have all the 'right' contacts in the publishing and PR business.

If her book was entitled 'Alzheimers the facts and how we can improve the condition' and had only a passing reference to her mother then that would be different but I suspect it's not the book she's written.

Being a journalist is a job, just like your job (But probably nowhere near as important as yours ) why should she get favourable treatment just because she has all the right contacts

I have not and will not be reading her book but I have to say that I would be very surprised if she isn't using the fact that her mother is someone everyone remembers (For whatever reason) to 'help' with the sales
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Caring for people with Alzheimers' or other forms of dementia I still come across families who cannot come to terms and are ashamed of what their parents have become.

The biggest misconception of all is that it is a mental illness. It is not. It is a physical condition of the brain.

There is also a grain of truth in the fact that it tends to happen to the more articulate, the more intelligent.

If the book had been called 'Alzheimers the facts and how we can improve the condition' then I have no doubt that A) it wouldn't have got the publicity it has and B) not as many will read it, or be more aware even because of the publicity.

Margaret Thatcher, no matter what you think of her politics, was an intelligent, strong woman.... and if people can see that Alzheimers' can affect anyone, even the powerful then that is a good thing.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Caring for people with Alzheimers' or other forms of dementia I still come across families who cannot come to terms and are ashamed of what their parents have become.

The biggest misconception of all is that it is a mental illness. It is not. It is a physical condition of the brain.

There is also a grain of truth in the fact that it tends to happen to the more articulate, the more intelligent.

If the book had been called 'Alzheimers the facts and how we can improve the condition' then I have no doubt that A) it wouldn't have got the publicity it has and B) not as many will read it, or be more aware even because of the publicity.

Margaret Thatcher, no matter what you think of her politics, was an intelligent, strong woman.... and if people can see that Alzheimers' can affect anyone, even the powerful then that is a good thing.

My thoughts exactly
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2008, 10:48 PM
I think it is better for someone to write a book about their experiences of living and knowing someone with an illness like this. I would prefer to read it than some reference book about it. I makes it more real especially if a person is known in the media. It needs to be brought out into the open more and families of sufferers will accept what is happening to their loved ones. A few years ago a neighbour of mine had it and his wife practically shut him away, wouldn't let anyone see him, always said he was sleeping or in the bath or any excuse. If we asked how he was we would be told he's fine and she would change the subject quickly. I honestly think she felt ashamed of him, it was so sad. He did got out a few times without her knowing and had to be brought home as he didn't know where he lived. One day when I was in my local shop he was in there asking for chewing gum and he pulled a wallet out of his pocket packet with £20 notes, it was bulging and he just handed a load to the person on the till. She gave it all back to him, he was lucky that this was an honest person, someone not so honest would have had a field day and he wouldn't have known any different. I noticed in the shop 2 well known drug addicts watching him, and to get home he had to cross over a cycling track with trees and bushes around. I just had a feeling what they were going to do so I left my shopping and walked home with him to make sure he was safe. When I knocked on the door, his wife answered and before I could say what had happened she whisked him in and shut the door. I felt so sorry for both of them. So to me if people can read what others are going through they won't feel so alone and may ask for help.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
I think it is better for someone to write a book about their experiences of living and knowing someone with an illness like this.
Sorry, as I said I've not read the book, is that what it's all about - the living and knowing part - is that what chapter 1 to the last chapter is all about

If any of the above people have read and can confirm that Alzheimer is what Carol Thatcher is writing about then of course I applaud that, the title isn't that important, the one I suggested was a bit 'technical' which I guess will put some people off.

So what is the title she choose and who has read it It does need to be out in the open, I just don't feel comfortable with people making money out of others misfortunes even if the 'others' are familly members. I would be more than happy if someone told me the first sentance of the first paragraph of the first page read:-
'All the royalties from the sale of this book will go the Alzheimers Research Charity'
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I must admit i can see Losos point . . .It does seem more like some one cashing in an terrible disease to flog her book. The title 'Swim on Part in the Goldfish Bowl: A Memoir' point to the fact its more about her life as a whole.

For me the honest and forthwright accounts of Terry Practhet on how he is dealing with this disease are much better publicity. At least he has decided he wants to share this to the world and not a family member.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >