View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Ollie's not well. Any ideas ? (update @ post 16)

Ollie is really under the weather he seemed ok till tea time around 5ish, yesterday. Put his tea down he refused it I hand fed him a few bits and he didn't want anymore.

He started about an hour after that to want to go and eat grass then a couple of hours later up came the grass and Gorden said some phlegm like stuff (sorry for the graphic descriptions.) Another hour or so later grass and brown water. Some more phlegm stuff during the night and an hour after that the small amount of dinner he had eaten.

His tummy is soft and he doesn't mind me touching it and he did go out this morning and he did have a little run and play and his poos were normal.

He has just now eaten a small amount of scrambled egg and a small square of brown toast. We will now have to monitor if and how long this stays down.

We are going to make an appointment for the vet for later or tomorrow and ask about sedation or if they have any ideas as he is so bad with the vet gets stressed and won't let the vet near him or didn't last time when he had that limp.

Wondered if you guys had any ideas.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 10:09 AM
hi,
is he still 'under the weather''? he may of just had a dicky tummy,it may not surprise me if his next poo may be a bit squidgy,
re sedation,not a good idea not only does it limit what you can do,it is also more risky than a g.a believe it or not!
i hope he feels better soon.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi,
is he still 'under the weather''? he may of just had a dicky tummy,it may not surprise me if his next poo may be a bit squidgy,
re sedation,not a good idea not only does it limit what you can do,it is also more risky than a g.a believe it or not!
i hope he feels better soon.
Thanks for that Layla. Going to ring the vet now and see what they suggest as last time we had to muzzle him and he was so stressed the vet couldn't get near him and said he couldn't diagnose anything as he couldn't tell whether it was pain or stress.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Lynn it may just be a simple tummy upset and I would starve Olly for 24 hours. A dogs tummy is designed to automatically reject unwanted substances and once this function has been triggered it can go on rejecting things, that is why it is advisable to starve and rest the tummy then only feed a light diet of rice and fish/chicken.,

In view of Ollys 'history' with vets the vet may advise waiting before a visit to see if things settle down rather than stressing Olly unnecessarily.

I hope he is better soon.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Lynn it may just be a simple tummy upset and I would starve Olly for 24 hours. A dogs tummy is designed to automatically reject unwanted substances and once this function has been triggered it can go on rejecting things, that is why it is advisable to starve and rest the tummy then only feed a light diet of rice and fish/chicken.,

In view of Ollys 'history' with vets the vet may advise waiting before a visit to see if things settle down rather than stressing Olly unnecessarily.

I hope he is better soon.
Thanks Mini have just spoken to the vets and the Nurse gave us same advice as you said starve him for 24 hours in the meantime any worries to call them and if no better tomorrow to call and make an appointment.

I spoke about sedation and she said i'm not a vet but I doubt they would sedate we would cross that bridge when we come to it she thinks the last vet he saw was a locum which might explain it as we have not had trouble before with him having his yearly booster or when he had an allergy 18 months ago he was well behaved when my son and I took him down.

I don't suppose he is the first touchy dog they have come across.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Lynn I would also prevent Ollie from drinking lots of water in one go, he should have water available at all times but better to put a small amount down and keep refilling the bowl.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Hoping he is feeling better soon poor thing x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Good advice. Hope he feels better soon and doesn't have to go to the vets.

Give him a gentle (((hug))) from me.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks all he is now sleeping by my leg, he is being very clingy funny thing that started last Friday when he broke out of the back gate as I was taking my Son and Family home he wasn't alone Gorden was home.

The other day Gorden was in the garden with him and I left to take Michael to an interview and Ollie was howling he has never done that. Michael said this morning he got up because we left to go to the dump and Ollie was howling for us.

if I move too far he follows me he has always been close to me but never this clingy so he really is feeling unwell.

He is loving all the cuddles.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Hope Ollie is feeling better soon, hugs x
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >