Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Help me make dog biscuits please!

Ok, I have decided that I would like to make dog biscuits later so..

I have;
flour - plain, wholemeal bread and self-raising
Peanut butter
cheese spread and cheddar
Milk

Can I make tasty dog biscuits from this?
(maybe need eggs?)

Oh, and I have lamb and venison mince!

Its been a while since I baked any biscuits
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Absolutely - I've made biscuits for the boys several times recently, I made some for my SS too much to their disgust , and found this some recipes on allrecipes.co.uk really handy as a starting point, I tweaked them a little but the basic bone shaped one was the first one I tried and was much lusted after!! Have fun!
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 09:49 PM
you could try these ! Mine love them !

Cheesy Bacon Biscuits
Ingredients:
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 stick margarine, softened (4oz)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla optional
1 1/2 cups regular oats, uncooked
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese or cream cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked crisp, drained, and crumbled

Make them yopurself:
Combine flour, bking soda ; mix well and set aside. Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg and vanilla if used. Add flour mixture, mixing well. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 16 minutes. Cool on baking sheet for a minute or so before removing to cooling rack.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't follow any particular recipes, just mix whatever baking ingredients I have together.
One I make a lot of is flapjack - just porridge oats (unsweetened/unflavoured), chicken stock (homemade so low/no salt - all I do is simmer a chicken neck in near boiling water on the hob for a while, make sure you bin the cooked bone though as it's not safe to eat when cooked) and then I'll add something like liver, bits of lamb, or whack in some fish (at the moment I've got lots of Fish4Dogs salmon mousse to use up so have been making lots of salmon flapjack). Spread flat in a big pyrex dish or similar, and bake at a low temperature for a while, until it reaches whatever consistancy you want (I go for still a bit soft, makes for good treats to give on walks as dog doesn't need to spend ages chewing away).
Alternatively I'll make biscuits - flour, little bit of olive or salmon oil, bit of stock. If you want some 'diet' biscuits, you can swap the oil for grated carrot - gives it moisture from the carrots but a bit easier on the waistline. Sometimes I'll chuck egg in if I have it, it tends to make them a little more cake-y.
Basically try anything you would for human baking but skip out the stuff like salt, lower the fat/use healthier alternatives like a little olive oil instead of butter, and don't be afraid to chuck smelly stuff in like fish. Just warn anyone in the household that they're dog treats - I've had a few people go to grab some flapjack and I've had to warn them its not human food
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Ok, I have decided that I would like to make dog biscuits later so..

I have;
flour - plain, wholemeal bread and self-raising
Peanut butter
cheese spread and cheddar
Milk

Can I make tasty dog biscuits from this?
(maybe need eggs?)

Oh, and I have lamb and venison mince!

Its been a while since I baked any biscuits
I'm sure you can - let us know how you get on.

I usually make sardine treats:

Two tins sardines in oil mixed with two eggs and flour (I use potato flour) with a little garlic.