Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 11:22 AM

Grrrrr birds....

I have been trying to keep Benji from having any bread at all because I think it could be part of his allergy so I am trying as near as possible just to keep him on his dogfood which is Wafcol Ocean Fish and Corn. I instruct my daughter not go give him any when she has sandwiches and make sure any leavings go straight in the bin Then he goes into the garden and what does he find - Bread what the dozy birds have dropped in my garden after getting it in my next door neighbours garden. Just caught him gobbling a piece up before and just managed to remove another piece before he got that too.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Just be thankful you havent got neighbours like mine Foxy-they put out whole loaves for the birdies and it gets dropped in my garden also!

Why not have a word with them if they are approachable explaining that Benji is allergic to the bread which gets dropped.Another option for them would be to mix used animal fat with the bread and make fat balls which birds love,but dont fall to pieces everywhere.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 12:53 PM
oh so it is not just my neighbours then my neighbours are indian and throw all sorts up onto our garage roof i have asked them not to and said if you wish to feed the birds go out of your gate to your own garage and do it,it falls on deaf ears and i have explained how much pain comfort let alone expense is involved when the animals get hold of stuff they shouldn't have i now go round the garden before i let the dogs out,inconvenient but seems to work.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Mine seem to love feeding the seagulls, and because of that we have a swarm (not flock!) of the agressive things, my car is always covered in in bird cr@p because of it, but there's nothing I can do about it
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by griff
oh so it is not just my neighbours then my neighbours are indian and throw all sorts up onto our garage roof i have asked them not to and said if you wish to feed the birds go out of your gate to your own garage and do it,it falls on deaf ears and i have explained how much pain comfort let alone expense is involved when the animals get hold of stuff they shouldn't have i now go round the garden before i let the dogs out,inconvenient but seems to work.
Kelly-What your neighbours are doing is essentially flytipping so tell them if it dont stop-you'll report them to the council.Its your garage and not theirs afterall.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2006, 01:37 PM
My advice to you all with bird problems, simply get a cat bird problem solved!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Foxy Yes, you don't want Benji eating any more of their bread do you! If it were me, and your neighbours are quite friendly, I would pop round there armed with a large bag of sunflower hearts (£1.75 for a large bag, probably 1kg?Not the seeds,but the hearts)and tell her about Benji and his bread eating habit. If you can't do that, then go out and buy a bag of this yourself and put it out in your own garden. You will find the birds will leave the neighbour's mouldy old bread alone and eat the sunflower hearts! After all, if you've got fillet steak in one garden you don't eat burgers from next door do ya!! That's a quote from somebody you know very well, goes by the name of Ashlady!!

It's not good to throw bread out anyway, coz you could get rat infested! We had it before with our neighbours chucking out leftovers for their chickens and we had to get the rat man in, and he told me not to throw bread out for my birds as I would never get rid of them!

Good luck with this as you're always having this problem with that bread, and after all, why shouldn't Benji go outside and play in his own garden without you having to keep an eye on him all the time!Grrrrrrr from me too, I would have to do something about it!