View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 10:42 PM

I think it's all getting too much for him...

Some of you may remember the previous separation anxiety we had with Axel, thankfully we got it sorted...but we're now having new separation anxiety issues with him. We arrived home tonight and could hear him whining and barking (he has only ever barked due to separation anxiety and not at the door) and I'm worried about him. Perhaps due to my pregnancy, the upcoming house move or everything. I feel like he's become more clingy and sensitive and perhaps it's all getting on top of him. I need to help him but I don't know how. In the training section I mentioned his recall and I'm wondering if it's all related.

Please tell me your dogs have picked up after the stressful time is over? We've tried so hard to keep the stress of pregnancy and house moving separate from our relationship with Axel, but I shouldn't be surprised that he's picked it all up because he's so sensitive.

Anyone else got really sensitive dogs? How did you help them through stressful situations out of your control?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Molly got pretty stressed out when we moved house & a lot of stuff we'd worked on went to pot but after a few months, she settled in properly and things gradually went back to normal I'm sure if you keep working at it & give him some time, Axel will come around too

If I remember correctly, you only moved recently & you're pretty newly pregnant? That's quite a lot of new things for him to deal with, especially the moving house. It might just be that it's taking a while for him to settle in & he's reverting back to old behaviours because of that? When Molly had her issues I went back to stage one and did everything like I'd never taught her it before. Is it possible to go back to square one and just work with him like you did when you first dealt with his separation anxiety?
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
Molly got pretty stressed out when we moved house & a lot of stuff we'd worked on went to pot but after a few months, she settled in properly and things gradually went back to normal I'm sure if you keep working at it & give him some time, Axel will come around too

If I remember correctly, you only moved recently & you're pretty newly pregnant? That's quite a lot of new things for him to deal with, especially the moving house. It might just be that it's taking a while for him to settle in & he's reverting back to old behaviours because of that? When Molly had her issues I went back to stage one and did everything like I'd never taught her it before. Is it possible to go back to square one and just work with him like you did when you first dealt with his separation anxiety?
Your memory is good! We were supposed to have moved in last Wednesday - sellers have been awkward and causing us more stress by delaying us moving in by 2-3weeks, so perhaps that's adding to even more stress. Yes, I'm fairly newly pregnant, only 14 weeks so still early. It's a lot for us all at once and I guess we've failed to shield Axel from it like we tried.
I think you're right, just need to try and get back to basics in all areas and hopefully in a while he'll settle into the house, our lives and he'll be back to being the happy-go-lucky and carefree boy we know
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Mine all got stressed as soon as i started packing and Spencers SA got worse so we ended up taking him with us in the car when we could. Just a thought are you sure that no one had tried the door while you were out.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
Your memory is good! We were supposed to have moved in last Wednesday - sellers have been awkward and causing us more stress by delaying us moving in by 2-3weeks, so perhaps that's adding to even more stress. Yes, I'm fairly newly pregnant, only 14 weeks so still early. It's a lot for us all at once and I guess we've failed to shield Axel from it like we tried.
I think you're right, just need to try and get back to basics in all areas and hopefully in a while he'll settle into the house, our lives and he'll be back to being the happy-go-lucky and carefree boy we know
I'm sorry to hear you've had trouble with the house move, that's such a pain! I'm certain that dogs can sense when we're stressed so perhaps Axel is picking up on you & your hubby being extra stressed & is acting accordingly too? You certainly haven't 'failed' to shield him, that's not your fault at all At the end of the day, you are also under loads of stress yourself so you can only do your best! I'm sure he will not suffer any long term effects & things will be better once you're all moved and he's settled in properly

It's a bit of a pain going back to basics when you think 'I've already taught you this!' but with Molly she picked everything back up fairly quickly anyway so hopefully Axel will be the same. Good luck with going back to basics & the house move