Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Does anyone share this pet hate...?

Other dog owners who walk off and don't care what their dogs are doing!!!

Yesterday at the park were two men, one had a small spaniel, the other had a HUGE long-haired GSD.

We crossed paths with them in the park, in one of the big fields. The GSD didn't follow the others - he stayed behind to greet Dexter.

The two men didn't even look back, they just carried on walking and talking. Meanwhile their GSD and my Lab were playing. But then the GSD started growling and it looked like the play was becoming very rough. The two men were by now a speck in the distance.

When Dexter started looking unhappy and the GSD's growling was increasing in volume, I stepped in and pulled my dog away.

The GSD owner had not even looked round once!!!

Maybe I'm just an over-protective owner??
I like to be very close by when my dog is engaging with others, especially if we've never encountered the dog before.

I really don't like it when the other dog owner just disappears and I'm then left to deal with both my dog and theirs!

Do you feel the same or are you more relaxed?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I feel the same, it really bugs me.
My main reason being, they have no idea if thier dog is pooing or not and neither do they care. So they continue walking leaving the poo where it is and giving the rest of us dog owners a bad name
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:03 PM
We have a couple around here who drive to a little playing field round in the housing estate, park up, meet up and proceed to sit on a bench in the middle of the field for an hour while their dogs run riot, charge up to other dogs barking their heads off and generally being a nuisance... and they pay no attention at all. They're having a whale of a girlie catch up session, the dogs are mooching around bored and everyone else is getting wound up.

Also another one at a different park who does this about noon each day (handy so you can time it to avoid her) walks in there with the dogs off lead, plonks herself down on a picnic bench while her two yap yap yap yap yap without pausing for breath and again, run riot. She can't recall them so she basically waits till they deign to come back to her (after everyone else has got a headache from the noise) before trotting home again, over a road which isn't the nicest for traffic, without the use of a lead there either.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:04 PM
I find walking in the opposite direction really winds them up.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:19 PM
i walk away... Tupac meets n greets and then follows me..im never a spec in the distance tho Tupacs GSD heritage makes sure of that ... to be fair its usually the other dog that joins us and ignores their owner recalling them.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:21 PM
this really annoys me too. i was up at my local field once with jasper and the weather was awful so it was muddy and slippy we were the only ones on the field. we were walking round i had jasper off lead and saw someone coming onto the field so i called jasper grabbed his collar and before i got to put his lead on the other dog was stood in front of him and jasper being a puppy but a big one at 12stone at that time was going mad wanting to play jumping up and pulling forward, and me barely holding him and slipping all over the place trying not to land on my back side. the owner of the other dog just stood there and watched. then she eventually called her dog who ran off but stopped and turned back and i had only just managed to get the lead on jasper collar before it came back again. the woman was lucky she never got abuse from me or that i never let go of jasper as her dog was only tiny and if he had jumped up at him he would have been flattened
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
this really annoys me too. i was up at my local field once with jasper and the weather was awful so it was muddy and slippy we were the only ones on the field. we were walking round i had jasper off lead and saw someone coming onto the field so i called jasper grabbed his collar and before i got to put his lead on the other dog was stood in front of him and jasper being a puppy but a big one at 12stone at that time was going mad wanting to play jumping up and pulling forward, and me barely holding him and slipping all over the place trying not to land on my back side. the owner of the other dog just stood there and watched. then she eventually called her dog who ran off but stopped and turned back and i had only just managed to get the lead on jasper collar before it came back again. the woman was lucky she never got abuse from me or that i never let go of jasper as her dog was only tiny and if he had jumped up at him he would have been flattened
silly question but why didnt you let him play?

my 'big' dog is great with smalls..they boss him about
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:28 PM
because i didnt know if the owner would have been happy for him to play, and jasper recall is none existent with other dogs.
i like to ask the owner if it is ok for him to play.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find walking in the opposite direction really winds them up.
Yes, I do that as well

There is a country park where we sometimes walk Max which from time to time has cattle and calves in, there is also a section of the walk along the river where there are often swans nests. It's a nice place to walk but you really need to be extra vigillant about what other animals are about.

We pulled up in the car par one day to see a young couple just sat in the car. We got out and headed off through one of the areas, you can see the car park for quite a way and we had been there for a while before this young dog came bounding out of one of the fields and ran straight across to their car, they opened the door, the dog jumped in and off they drove We carried on towards the field where the dog had just come out of and all of the cattle and their young were in there. If their dog would have have got into trouble with the cattle, they would have had absolutely no idea
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Yes really winds me up to especially having as Ted isn't keen on all dogs. Happened a couple of times last summer one being a spaniel who to start with was on lead i had purposefully hung back and let them get ahead while crossing one field only to be shutting a gate behind me and turning round to find the spaniel had been let off and had come back to say hello to Ted the owners didn't even look back and just carried on walking good job Ted was happy to say hello.

Another time i was walking across the top of a playing field it was a nice afternoon and there was loads of kids playing and people playing football when this rottie came running over. It was lovely and friendly but unfortunately Ted was not and kept snapping at it. The rottie refused to go away and was sniffing Ted all over meanwhile i'm trying to hold Teds collar and scanning the people looking for someone calling or making there way to collect the dog. No one seemed to be paying any attention so i tried to walk away rottie in tow finally some young lad came running and collected the dog Happened again same dog and place a couple of weeks later this time as soon as i spotted it and it came close i crossed the road (no cars coming and its a very quiet road!) the rottie followed and only then did a bloke start calling it. Took him a few attempts but finally the dog went back to him.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >