Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Is this vet in the wrong?

A guy my OH works with (lives in the next street along) had a litter of pups from his lhasa apso last year. The dog has had two litters in total, the first litter was just one pup.

The dog has become very hyper (his words) and is whining all the time. She's coming into season.

He wants to get her speyed and doesn't want her to have any more pups. The vet said 'You should let her have one more litter, it'll calm her down'.

She's only been acting different since she's been coming into season this time apparently.

I for one am appalled by the vet's advice, especially as this man doesn't want his dog to have another litter. I'm hoping to find out who the vet is and give them a ring

Anyone have any thoughts on the advice to have a third litter, just to 'calm the dog down'?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
The vet is totally wrong. Having pups or being used at sud does not calm a dog down. He should just wait until 3 months after her next season and have her spayed.
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Are you sure this is what the vet said? It sounds like an old wives tale from Days Gone By. If he truly is telling clients this, I`d report him to the RCVS.
Tell the guy if spaying really calmed a bitch down, it would have done it on the previous 2 litters! And suggest he change his vet.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I agree with whats been said, it sounds more like the hormones kicking in before a season are whats making her hyper,
holly is always "exuberant" just before and just after a season...
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
As said i think i'd be going to another vet ...
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Can't believe a Vet can be talking such utter cr@p. Suppose there's no possibility that this man is just talking bull.........that perhaps he does want her to have another litter and is making out the Vet advised it

Just can't believe a professional would have such an idiotic view on calming a dog down
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Can't believe a Vet can be talking such utter cr@p. Suppose there's no possibility that this man is just talking bull.........that perhaps he does want her to have another litter and is making out the Vet advised it

Just can't believe a professional would have such an idiotic view on calming a dog down
I'm totally with you on that This guys looking for an excuse to have yet another litter,xxxxx
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post

That's what I thought too.. I'd be really surprised if a vet gave that sort of advice - especially after the dog has already had two litters!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I am with the others and if this vet did actually give this advice then I too would be looking for another vet.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
I was as surprised and shocked as you guys - which is why I want to find out which vet and give them a ring.

I don't think the guy would be lying. He has no reason to lie as it's nothing to do with my OH as to whether the fella's dog has more pups or not

I asked my OH to tell him to see another vet too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >