Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
helspuppy
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2009, 02:17 PM

how can i stop my puppy chasing cats

Hi everyone i wounder if anyone has any ideas on how i can stop my collie chasing my cats i have three cats i got May when she was about 12 to 13 weeks old which was from a farm she lived out side in the yard with her brothers and sister she had seen lots of different animals like cows pigs sheep etc but not cats when we got her home i showed her the cats and sat them all together on the settee she seemed fine until she settled in and got to big for her boots and decided that the chase game was good my cats have got free access to the house and may is put in her crate when they come in other wise the house is turned up side down when she is out side she is the same i have to keep her on the lead until i shut the cats in house then she is fine any ideas would be very grateful
thanks hen x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh dear
I have BC's too as do a lot of people on here, no advice as I don't have cats, but I'm sure someone will come up with something. they like to herd you know maybe she's trying to get them all together for you

Hope you find a solution
elaine x

Welcome to Dogsey by the way!!!!
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Do your cats run, making it a great game?
I have 1 cat and 4 BC's, my oldest BC just ignores the cat, the next one will go and stare at the cat for hours as long as the cat doesn't run (which ours doesn't with him), the next is scared of the cat and will keep well clear of her, but my youngest (3 years old) thinks the cat is great fun and the cat will always run from her. I've found the only thing is to keep them seperate.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it's more about how the cat deals with the problem .
I have 2 cats when I got my poodle pup she tried chasing them both . My female cat told her off in no uncertain terms and that was the end of her chasing that cat .
My other cat is male and a big softy and he ran therefore it was a game to my pup . We tried telling her to stop it but it was just too much fun .
Gradually the fun went out of it for her and peace was restored .
Your pup will eventually lose interest too
Lizz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-05-2009, 08:14 PM
2 Border Collies aged 2 and 8 months - 43 cats all in charge of the dogs - the ferals tended to impale in the pups nose to stop them trying to round them up

We also use crates for both the boys and currently each BC is on the floor with 4 feral cats being washed!

Our JRT aged 15 thinks she is a cat and they trat her like cat

We used leads for initial introductions and then let the cats show the dogs who was in charge - Dogs get chased by cats outside!
helspuppy
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi thanks for all replies it doesn't help that the cats are only 6months old so they are naughty as well as they know when she is on a long lead how far she can go i think i will have to let her off and they will have to sort it out between them all
hoping she will give up on chasing them and listen to me and the cats have plenty of trees and places that they can get away too