Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Free Dog Food!

(I have cross-posted some this as it's appropriate to two different threads.)

Whilst on holiday, I met a lady with a BC and a greyhound. She said she never pays for dogfood, but instead asks her butcher for 'Category C Waste' which is all the bits the butchers throw away - everything from connective tissue and lungs through meaty bones and small meat offcuts to unsold offal and pigs' trotters. Butchers have to pay by the kilo to have this waste removed so taking it off their hands is actually doing them a favour!

I asked my usual butcher if he had any, but he said there is next to no waste as this is what he uses to make his pet mince. So I found a new butcher who doesn't do pet mince...... and he has loads of the stuff! I asked him if I could have any and he as agreed to let me have as much as I can carry on a regular basis!! Yayy - free dog food!!

He took me to his two red wheelie bins which were full to the brim of allsorts, so I picked out the best bits and took them home and minced up my own homemade pet mince with my trusty old mincer.

It's worth finding a butcher in a more affluent area where the customers are less likely to buy cheaper cuts, and where they prefer their meat trimmed within an inch of its life! That way the butcher's waste will be of a much higher quality.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2008, 05:19 PM
I get this from the organic farm up the road...about 10kg is £3, price varies, often free!! They add in 5-10% liver for me too and ox heart...dogs love it and so does my purse.

Mary
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Thats fab! I wish there was a place like that near me, all our butchers seem to be tight gits
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 08:33 AM
im not sure on how bens delicate tum would handle raw meat.
worth a try tho. theres the big supermarket up the road, and only 1 butchers in town, and the state of his meat heprobally uses it, ive had food poisoning twice after eating his food.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I get free pigs trotters and bones from my butcher. I asked for some fresh cows ears the other day but he couldn't get hold of any. It's always worth asking what he's got though