Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 02:55 PM

Lump (umbilical hernia)

Hi all,
Feel stupid asking this but little Meg seems to have a soft small lump about the size of a pea where the cord was attached.Is it anything to worry about.
She has been fed and had a drink but as yet hasn't had a no 2-Is this anything to worry about?
Feel really stupid asking.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:00 PM
May be a hernia pups sometimes get them where the cord was I think they can be very gently pushed back in a few of our pups had this a few days after birth and they went in time I dont know about older pups called the vet if your concerned they will be able to tell you if you need to come in or put your mind at rest if you dont!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2006, 03:11 PM
It sounds like a small hernia.

Star had one at 8 weeks about the size of my pinkie fingernail which was gone by 10 weeks when she got her second vaccination.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi

Diesel had that exact same thing, it is an umbillical hernia, thankfully Diesels didnt cause a problem and was left alone and now it has pretty much disappeared, some though can grow and if that is the case they will normally be removed, i would mention it to your vet at the next visit, if it is only tiny they prob wont touch it and depends if there is an opening, if it has sealed up it should be fine.

Hope that helps
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks all,
hubby said i'm panicking over nothing It's called been a doggy/puppy mum
She's at the vets on tuesday anyway for first jabs,so i'll get the vet to take a look.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:21 PM
sounds like an ambilical hernia to me as well Bonnies last litter all the pups had them some say heridary some say not .........get the vet to take a look as its not wise to breed from a dog who has one over a certain size
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks Inca
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Agree with what been said, sound like an umbilical hernia. Some close up themselves but some will get bigger, usually if your planning on having her spayed the vet will close it up then if it needs to be.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Zanta had an umbilical hernia when she was a pup but they sorted it when she was spayed.Ollie has one too,the vet said as long as it is fat and not the intestine it is fine they will be able to help you when you take her for her check up and jabs.Ollie will have his sorted as we are having him neutered at 6 months he is a pet not for stud or showing but yours may be different so best check with the vet.
Most pups have them though I think.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Yes they do say they are hereditary, and I think you will need permission to show the dog if it has to be repaired. Did the breeder not notice it?
Dawn.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >