Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Dairy detox....I feel awful!!

I finally took the plunge to go from Vegetarian to Vegan. I have spent a couple of weeks researching recepies and finding the alternatives I need and stocking my cupboards.

Three days ago I cut out all dairy products but the one thing I had not even thought about was that there would be side effects to cutting them out. At the moment I feel awful. I am tired, irritable, totally lacking in energy, can't concentrate and have been suffering from headaches. Having googled it I have found that these are normal things to go through after cutting out dairy.

Apparantly, they should subside by day 7ish and at around day 10 I will feel fabulous.

Anyone else experienced this? Roll on day 10 it can't come quick enough!!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I haven't tried cutting out dairy products but I had the exact same symptoms where one of my work colleagues bought de-caffeinated teabags by mistake. By home time I felt ghastly!! Stick with it anyway you will be really glad when you have clucked through the withdrawal!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Make sure you are drinking enough water and are getting enough protein and calcium.

Get Rice Dream with added calcium (although veg contains enough anyway really).

Try Quinoa and other pulses for protein

Good luck!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I haven't tried cutting out dairy products but I had the exact same symptoms where one of my work colleagues bought de-caffeinated teabags by mistake. By home time I felt ghastly!! Stick with it anyway you will be really glad when you have clucked through the withdrawal!!
I haven't missed dairy at all diet wise and thought I was going down with some illness but by chance googled cutting it out of your diet and discovered that they are just the withdrawl symptoms. Determined to do it though as I am not going through this twice

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Make sure you are drinking enough water and are getting enough protein and calcium.

Get Rice Dream with added calcium (although veg contains enough anyway really).

Try Quinoa and other pulses for protein

Good luck!
Thanks Azz, but I hope you realise this is your fault All that talk of what was in my milk!! I have been having lots of lovely meals with lentils and veg and am finding that side of it great. I am trying to drink plenty as I do feel really thirsty. Research suggests that your body gets rid of a gallon of mucous in the detox period. How gross is that! Makes you wonder what it does to your body if it takes this long to clear your system. I am sure I will feel better in the long run as I have no intentions of going back now!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Good stuff!

I haven't had milk for donkeys years - I love Rice Dream, I could drink it chilled all day long. It just tastes so yum! Soya milk tastes too 'thick' to me. And Oat milk is fine for cereals but Rice Dream can actually be drank as a tasty refreshing drink, least for me anyway.

I lasted as a Vegan for 10 days, but began to feel tired so have started to have fish again, and will only have meat very very sparingly - so will buy organic instead as it will be no more than once a month and as a treat.

You'll have to share some of your recipes... I'm crap at cooking!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:14 PM
I haven't tried Rice Dream I will have to get some. I think I find it easier as I haven't eaten meat for 20 years anyway so it is just the cheese and milk element I am excluding.

The recipes I have been doing so far have all only taken half an hour to do as I can't be bothered staying in the kitchen too long I've had sweet and sour noodles and stir fry veg, veg curry and rice and tagliatelle (sp) with a tomato and lentil sauce. Tomorrow is a veg dal! I'll post some up for you when I get a chance.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I was a vegan for about year and remember going through this, i dont ever remember feeling fantastic though, although i think it was more to do with my lack of knowledge in being a vegan, it eventually made me ill.
I admire you though and good luck with it, il read with real interest how you get on.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I was a vegan for about year and remember going through this, i dont ever remember feeling fantastic though, although i think it was more to do with my lack of knowledge in being a vegan, it eventually made me ill.
I admire you though and good luck with it, il read with real interest how you get on.
Oh no don't say that its all I'm holding on to I am hoping that as a veggie anyway I should be ok. I have stocked up on vegan cookbooks so I have lots to choose from. Were you a veggie before you became vegan? I shall let you know how it goes.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
It made a friend of mine very ill, she ended up in hospital, her organs were shutting down as the food was not feeding her properly. She was a veggie already, but now eats meat and she says has never felt better. Guess it suits some and not others.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Oh no don't say that its all I'm holding on to I am hoping that as a veggie anyway I should be ok. I have stocked up on vegan cookbooks so I have lots to choose from. Were you a veggie before you became vegan? I shall let you know how it goes.
Yes a was a veggie and again not a healthy one of them, i think it is a very healthy diet if you do it right, i didnt and so did not give my body what it needs, you on the other hand sound as though you are doing it well and so i think you will get some good results!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >