Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 12:27 AM

Going to college for the second time in Scotland

I am thinking of going back to college next August (I was there 2007/2008 ), but was just wondering if any one knows the best way to pay for the courses and be able to keep myself going money wise for 2 years?

I have a qualification in computing, as I went straight into it from school as the teachers said I should as I was "good at it", but it was only after I got the qualifications I realised that computing is not the industry I want to work in!

I want to work in the makeup/beauty/fashion industry, but everywhere is wanting either experience or qualifications, and its like impossible to get experience without qualifications lol.. so I am thinking of going back to college to do beauty therapy courses.

I will need to/can save to pay for the 2 courses, but I don't know the best way of doing it so that I don't have literally no money for 2 years whilst studying, but I also don't want to get into a lot of debt!

Any thoughts/ideas?

It isn't definate yet btw... was just thinking about it and seems like a good option.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Rob a bank - they've got plenty, most of it stolen already

Snorri
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 08:05 AM
LOL - well theres that

Any legal ways?
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Is their anyway that you can do work experience at certain beauty shops?

I have don eit to get more work experience with animal related jobs, i'm currently doing work experience in a groomers.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Well that is what I was trying to do tbh, but nearly all of them say thy want "qualified" - so even though beauty therapy isn't what I want to do, it would help me get more "experience" to then go on to do the things I want. If that makes sense
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 03:50 PM
You need to make an appointment with them specifically to talk over financial matters, they will let you know how many fee waivers etc you are entitled to (or not) and what the costs will be and so on. Just a case of when you are not at college you need to get a job elsewhere. Apply for Saturday Jobs at salons etc

make-up/beauty/fashion industry covers a lot though so it may help to be more specific. Journalism, photographer, beautician, beauty therapist, make-up artist, hairdresser, model, those are all examples of jobs in the industry.

Work experience can still be gained while working in a supermarket remember, so your at college, work in Tesco at weekend, have two days a week when you are not at college - those days you are free to apply to salons etc for work experience, say 2 days a week for 6 weeks, by the time you finish college you can have a variety of experience etc for your CV. Also your course may include a placement slot too.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post

make-up/beauty/fashion industry covers a lot though so it may help to be more specific. Journalism, photographer, beautician, beauty therapist, make-up artist, hairdresser, model, those are all examples of jobs in the industry.

Work experience can still be gained while working in a supermarket remember, so your at college, work in Tesco at weekend, have two days a week when you are not at college - those days you are free to apply to salons etc for work experience, say 2 days a week for 6 weeks, by the time you finish college you can have a variety of experience etc for your CV. Also your course may include a placement slot too.
The thing is - I don't know what I want to do - I just know that is the industry I want to be in lol.

At the moment I really fancy working on a makeup counter, but nearly ALL are wanting "previous makeup experience".

I went to college and was working in a small shop for 3 years part time, and now I have just come to the end of my contract in this job doing administration full time - so I do have some experience generally, I just want to go back to college.

I know they do courses with "ICS" etc, and it says they are "recognised qualifications", I am just not sure how recognised...

Thanks for all the replies though!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
If its only make up experience then do a short make-up course through your local college. The counters from there will usually hire you and train you on their own products etc.

Its not the store you apply to its the company, so for example, Debenhams. You don't work for Debenhams, you work for Benefit.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
If its only make up experience then do a short make-up course through your local college. The counters from there will usually hire you and train you on their own products etc.

Its not the store you apply to its the company, so for example, Debenhams. You don't work for Debenhams, you work for Benefit.
Yeah I have applied for a lot, but all the ones that have got back to me have said they have had other people apply with "more makeup experience"

I will keep looking no doubt, but it is just so frustrating!!

Hence I was thinking about going to college as being qualified gives you more options of what you can apply for and get the experience.

Even the Reception jobs (as I have done admin), are wanting people "qualified" or "experienced" in whatever it is that the salon does.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 06:00 PM
yeah, thats what I mean a short make-up course at college to then apply for the counters. Have you thought about volunteering for work experience, at a beauticians, working for free for a while may just land you a full-time job. It does not matter whether you get paid or not, youve then worked there and can add it to your CV, shows your keen too.

Remember the counters are about sales. Any experience there may help out too.

Yeah, admin/reception Vs salon reception is different, thats so you understand certain stuff...I can see why they want it, its just really hard just now to get any work, never mind something you want to do. Keep at it and you'll get something, even in baby steps.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >