Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Aw was hoping this wouldn't happen

Okay, so both OH and I are short sighted. When Davie was born we were both hoping against hope that he would not need glasses, however, when he was 6 months old I was concerned about a squint and the opthalmist (sorry if that's not the right name) consultant fella told us that by 5 he'd be wearing glasses.

By 5 his eyesight was fine, and as the last 5 years have gone by we have been on a knife edge waiting for the complaints of 'Mum, the screen is blurry', hoping against hope that 'that' moment would never come and as the years have gone past we have been delighted because we got another year where he wasn't wearing them...however, that cry came a month ago, but because he wasn't having any other trouble reading the blackboard at school or anything else we left it..but last week he said it was happening there too.

He was at the opticians today...and the inevitable has happened, Davie needs glasses now. Only for TV, reading etc...they should be ready by mid week. We were told that the likelyhood is eventually he will be wearing them permanently
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Im terribly short sighted but it didn't appear till i was 9, my dad has terrible eye sight and mine has got worse and worse, i hope my little peanut wont have to wear glasses but i really think it might have to x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Well as someone who has been wearing glasses since I was 8 I really do not see this as some terrible tragedy!?
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well as someone who has been wearing glasses since I was 8 I really do not see this as some terrible tragedy!?
I was bullied to hell and back for having to wear glasses when I turned 13, my hubby had the same problem when he was 9. Excuse me for NOT wanting the same for my son!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:59 PM
My daughter now nearly 16 yrs has been wearing glasses since she was about 5,no big deal and she has never been teased or bullied for it.

They do some lovely frames nowadays and she picks out some fancy ones
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
My daughter now nearly 16 yrs has been wearing glasses since she was about 5,no big deal and she has never been teased or bullied for it.

They do some lovely frames nowadays and she picks out some fancy ones
Yeah much better than the tortoiseshell horrors we had to wear when I was young...as a girl you could have light blue, light pink, clear, or horrible tortoiseshell...

He has some nice blue aluminium (I think) frames...they are nice and his choice.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I was bullied to hell and back for having to wear glasses when I turned 13, my hubby had the same problem when he was 9. Excuse me for NOT wanting the same for my son!
I was not bullied, nor was my daughter and nor were any OTHER children at my school or my daughter's for wearing glasses!

I was also at school with children who had Downs Syndrome and calipers (from polio) and none of THEM was buillied either!

Wearing glasses does NOT = bullying!

I can think of PLENTY of worse things than wearing glasses and plenty of parents who would be THRILLED if that was all they had to worry about!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Wearing glasses was probably one of the things I was NOT bullied about. I have been permanently wearing glasses since I was 12.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 06:33 PM
What a shame, but I expect when he reaches his late teens he will opt for contact lenses if he feels at all bothered by wearing glasses.

In the meantime he will probably actually avoid being teased........not being able to follow lessons properly affects learning, and this can be a major cause of taunts.

I bet he looks great in them anyway
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Both my younger daughters aged 8 and 5 wear glasses. They are not bullied because of it?
You can get some wonderful frames for youngsters. My 8 year old wears a Roxy pair! She looks beautiful in them.
Can I suggest you change your approach to your son having to wear glasses. It will be you yourself causing him problems, not the other children.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »